PDA

View Full Version : Organic/Natural pesticides

Blossome
06-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Anyone know of a good organic, homemade or natural pesticide I can use/make. Something is eating my Kale seedlings and my cabbage. I was told Neem oil is good, so I brought a small bottle and it really smells. It made my tummy flip flop. I don't think I can use that stuff.

MoniDew
06-03-2009, 08:57 PM
we use diatomacious earth. It's the skeletal remains of tiny sea creatures, very high in calcium and other minerals, harmless to humans and pets, but deadly to soft-bodied insects like worms. cuts/scratches their soft bodies. they won't crawl across it. works like a charm!

My husband works in the swimming pool supply industry. It's used in pool filters. We have easy access to it. Have been using it for years. You can even de-worm your dog by sprinkling a tiny amount into the dog food. Great mineralizer for your garden soil, too.

shebear
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Ten to one it's cabbage loopers eating those plants. Do you have white moths flying about? If so, then use BT. It's an organic pesticide that only kill worms. I use the liquid instead of the powder. Don't mix too much as it doesn't keep for long and unless it rains, you won't need to reapply for a week or ten days.

I don't use many pesticides in my garden. Not even organic ones but I did lose a few veggies when I started. It takes about twice as long to build up the beneficial as the bad bugs. I've discovered that cleaning up too many weeds in the winter doesn't leave any place for the beneficials to overwinter. Now I leave a few.

Blossome
06-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Thank for the advise. I will look into both.