PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes are in

Warlord
06-04-2009, 12:26 AM
This is the day Iv'e waited for all winter and spring to get here. Tomato planting day!:D It took me a few days after work to get all the vertical and some of the horizontal stakes in so I could then plant my tomatoes. It took me until dark this evening despite having to also work on the wife's car but all of them are now out in the garden. I have planted (are you ready for this?) 39, yep your seeing it right, 39 tomato plants. I can here your questions now. Why so many; Do you realize how much time you'll have to spend taking care of them and Are you crazy?! Why not; Yes I do and Yes I am crazy would be my response. I figure if we are going to do more canning this year we may as well go full out. I did try something that I read in one of my wife's woman's magazines(I was curious about the kind of stuff my Beloved actually reads in these things) It said when you plant tomates place a spoonfull of sugar at the botom of the hole before putting in the tomato plant. The sugar is supposed to help control microbes in the soil around the the roots. A lady at work also told me that her tomatoes liked beer. I don't think I could part with any of my Bud Light. Besides beer is for drinking while cooking burgers or a nice thick juicy steak out on the grill.;) I plan on posting some pics of our garden soon. Until next time stay cool.:cool:

FuriousOne
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Awesome Warlord, I too got my tomatoes in yesterday finally. 10 plants for the 2 of us (being my first real year gardening, I thought that was work enough) We did 5 different varietys from romas, yellow pears, big boys, pink ladys and a heirloom called strangely enough mr stripy. Good luck on all the weeding and work that ensues with them. Maintence weeding who ever came up with that phrase....its a full time job for me!

One note..I thought i was very clever this year and hope this helps people. I took the tags from the plants, hole punched them, and zip tied them right to the tomato cages of that plant. I'm hoping this will help with easy indentification and with garden records of what produced.

plantoneonme
06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Warren, great you got them all planted. I did 16 this year with 14 different varieties. I wish I had more space as we are tomato-holics and there is never enough. Don't forget, they freeze well also!

One note..I thought i was very clever this year and hope this helps people. I took the tags from the plants, hole punched them, and zip tied them right to the tomato cages of that plant. I'm hoping this will help with easy indentification and with garden records of what produced.

Love this idea and plan on using it!!! Kim

kinnisoj
06-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Somebody nominate that for the idea of the month award.
By the end of the year I have no idea what I have goin on!

gardengirl72
06-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Mine are in as well I have my favorites in from my heirloom seed collection and I am trying 15 new heirloom varieties. I have tomatoes on some of them already and flowers on many of them. They are growing well so far. Which reminds me it's time to stake them all. I'm also trying some new organic fungicides as well. Congrats Warlord!

SimplyForties
06-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Me too! 15 plants just for me - Brandywine and Super Sweet 100's. I sprouted them in my basement and babied them along. They seem to have made it through the first few days of that red hot Texas sun! I'm hopeful!

I planted mine in 4' x 8' raised beds with what I hope will be deer deterrent cages over the beds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11877049@N07/3631599122/in/set-72157619721786793/

Haven't quite gotten the other bed planted yet but have a bunch of pepper plants, which I also sprouted in my basement, ready to go.

Maryann
06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
what a great idea with the tags!
right now I have a mystery squash and a mystery Hierloom (variety pack if seeds)
I do love surprises!:D