PDA

View Full Version : Built my coop

VanillaGorilla
06-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I finally got my hen house and pen built. I tried like heck to find plans somewhere on the net but didn't have any luck so I just went for it...lol. I've gotta give myself some credit and say that it turned out really nice. The coop is 4' x 4' x 6' high (from it's floor which is elevated a foot above the ground) with a seperate nesting box attached to one side (with 3 seperate nesting chambers inside of it) that has it's own tight lid for easy (eventual) egg collecting (provided they use it...lol), making the total building's floorplan structure 4' x 6'.

The pen is completely enclosed (with two entry gates on opposite sides) and is 10' x 10' x 8' high with the bottom trenched nearly 2' deep all the way around. The whole project was a lot of work and it took me almost 3 weeks to complete in my free time, but now my birds have a safe home. The first two girls that we brought home a couple of months ago have been living in it for almost a week now and it's working out perfectly, while the other 2 chicks are still a bit too young to put out there yet.

The reason I'm posting this here (other than the fact that I'm happy to have it built...lol) is because of that fact that I had such a hard time finding info so I figured that now that I've had a little experience, I'd share it with someone incase I can be of any help to anyone who may be where I was just a little while back.

Dave