PDA

View Full Version : berry confused - about raspberries

swoop
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
i planted a raspberry last year and got lots of fruit - i am (don't laugh too hard) totally freaked out on how to prune them (even though i watched so many videos on pruning and read books that i could recite them in my sleep) so i didn't prune them last year but they look like they have many berries starting - ok i am rambling here - the real problem #1 is they have spread - many shoots or suckers are popping up all over - should i remove these - they don't have any flowers yet? problem #2 - i planted them near several blueberry bushes which all now have fruit and because the raspberry spread so much i am afraid that they will choke out the bluberries. does anyone have any experience with either fruit i would appreciate any advice.

i would be berry grateful:)

Sinfonian
06-07-2009, 02:21 AM
I don't have specific raspberry experience, but if there are suckers with no fruit on them, prune then. They are robing nutrients.

Second, yes, anything close will compete with shallow rooted blueberries. Not sure if raspberries grow well in the highly acidic soil that blueberries thrive in.

Good luck and enjoy your berries!

onesmallshift
06-07-2009, 04:28 AM
Don't prune them until you know when yours fruit!

If they produce berries in the summer (June-ish) then you need to leave the new shoots because those are the ones that will produce berries next year. Once the canes are done producing berries this year you can prune those ones to ground level and leave the new ones (that didn't produce berries) for next year.

If they produce berries in the fall they grow on the current years growth. These ones are pruned in the spring and left to grow and produce berries in the fall of the same year.

flatlander
06-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Onemalls got the right advice....it depends entirely on what variety you have and when it fruits. Here is a useful link on berry culture from Indiana Berry.

https://indianaberry.com/info_rasp_tips.php