PDA

View Full Version : worm castings natural pesticide?

Warlord
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I read in an article on making worm boxes that a benefit of using worm castings is that the worms create a natural enzyme that repels certain insects and I hope most microbes. Something has been busy making holes in the leaves of the broccoli and cauliflower plants.:mad: I don't know if it's cabbage loopers or not. I need to know if I can use a tea from my worm castings to act as a natural pesticide. I would also like to know the water mixing ratios for making strong or weak tea. Oh, and would it do any good to also spritz some tea on the leafs of the plants or do I have to wait for it to enter the plant via the soil. Thanks for any info. See you in the garden. Warren

KalenaPlants
06-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I read in an article on making worm boxes that a benefit of using worm castings is that the worms create a natural enzyme that repels certain insects and I hope most microbes. Something has been busy making holes in the leaves of the broccoli and cauliflower plants.:mad: I don't know if it's cabbage loopers or not. I need to know if I can use a tea from my worm castings to act as a natural pesticide. I would also like to know the water mixing ratios for making strong or weak tea. Oh, and would it do any good to also spritz some tea on the leafs of the plants or do I have to wait for it to enter the plant via the soil. Thanks for any info. See you in the garden. Warren

I would also like to know the proper water to compost ratio for making compost tea, whether from worm castings or regular compost. Thanks!

Kalena
http://amirasblogberry.blogspot.com

SimplyForties
06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Here's a link with some great instructions for making vermicompost tea -

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/worm-tea/making-vermicompost-tea/

I've never heard of the natural pesticide properties of vermicompost. Foliar feeding with the tea is a good idea though, just for the added nutrient absorbtion.

Good luck & let us know if it works as a pesticide!