PDA

View Full Version : Just got my baby Buff Orpingtons and ?

nandmsmom
06-08-2009, 08:48 AM
They are just the cutest things ever. The kids are just enthralled with them. I thought that all layers laid an egg a day. However, when I looked up my Orps, it says they only lay every 2-3 days. Should I get more chicks, so that I'll have enough eggs?

Fred's Fine Fowl
06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi Heather...

Hmmm, I think it's funny that anyone would suggest the Buff Orpington lays only every three days? The Opringtons are wonderful layers in my experience, right up there with the very best!

I would wait to see how your particular birds perform before jumping on the "need more chickens" band wagon. I would be very surprised if they did not lay particularly well.... true orpingtons are large, roundish and heavy... they also lay (historically) with great regularity....

very popular breed... I'm sure they will do well for you!

Enjoy the chicks you have and we'll see (">

As always,

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

kinnisoj
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I have to agree with Fred, Buff's are great layers! They are also very gentle,easy going and I now have 1 mom sitiing! But just wondering how many egg's do you figure you need a day? I way over figured my self and theirs time we will have 5+/- dozen in the fridge! The kids are making a killing selling to the neighbors....

nandmsmom
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks very much for your answers. I was very surprised at that info myself, since I had been told they were 'heavy layers' by the person I got them from. Regardless, I love them and can't wait to continue on this journey!