PDA

View Full Version : Hail.. please advice... PLEASE HELP!

leydaleon
06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
This weekend we finally planted our garden with the plants we bought. The seedlings are still too small. We did this between Friday and Saturday. We WERE so happy. I did it even though I am sick and not feeling well, but I was afraid that if I didnt do it this weekend I was not going to harvest anytime.

I say WERE happy, since yesterday we had hail... lots of it. Not golf sized but it covered the floor and grass like snow! :'( When it ended I send my husband to scout our garden. He said it was no plant left with leaves. ALL of them! The lettuce seedlings he could not even see anymore! The cauliflower and cabbage plants with their leaves all broken!

IS THIS THE END OF MY GARDEN??????????

I planted some greens directly to the floor as well as some herbs! Will they ever come out with all this mess? This week is supposed to be a wet one. With highs in mid 70's and lows in 50's!!!!

To think that I posted it in my blog so enthusiastic! :(

I really can't believed this happened to us. We are having very very bad luck this year! We don't know what to do.

Warlord
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
A Michigander here to say I feel your pain. I know how it feels to invest time and money into plants only to have them destroyed. I don't know how the growing season is out there during the summer. I know it's June, but I also know that you should not give up. I suspect you are not the quittin kind. You might try starting what you can from seed, or check with friends or anyone around the neighborhood to see if you can obtain some plants from them. Chances are that others in the local area are sharing in your dillema. Keep us posted. If you can't find the plants you are looking for let me know I will see if I can help. Warlord.

kinnisoj
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Im down here in Trinidad if theirs any thing I can send you feel free to yell.We've still got plenty of time till Oct. Dont give in...

leydaleon
06-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for your support!

I was just talking to some neighbors and everybody's garden has been devastated. We are all heart broken! Even other friends from the office that don't live in my community had their garden destroyed too by the hail!

In the union is the force! Let's see what we can do and what can be saved...

At least, my brocoli, cauliflower and tomatoes seedlings are growing... slow... but growing! :)

SimplyForties
06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I am so sorry that happened to you. I went through it a couple of years ago and it really took the heart out of me for that season. Thank goodness you still have some things growing! :)

leydaleon
06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I feel so bad for my neighbors. Their plants were bigger than mine and got totally destroyed. Most of them cleared up their garden. Don't know if they are planting again. :( Is really heart breaking. I will post some pics on my blog. I got a new camera!

Computer Cowboy
06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
We had that happen a few years ago, with hail literally the size of golfballs. There wasn't a scrap of foliage left on anything, just a few battered stalks. However, with nothing left to lose, I thoroughly drenched everything several times with pretty strong homemade compost tea (I had already been experimenting with that stuff with pretty astounding results), and amazing as it sounds, almost everything fully recovered! New leaves and growth started sprouting seemingly overnight, and we ended up with a great harvest. It's something you might want to try, at least. Or if it's too late this time, something to keep in mind the next time it happens. Good luck!