PDA

View Full Version : Mel's Mix and Chickens?

alittletouched
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I recently got a hold of SFG. A combination of the cost it's taken me to amend my soil, and reading Mel's book, has convinced me to go ahead and fill new beds with his special mix. However, you're not supposed to compact the soil and just this morning I thought: But won't chickens running around on top of it for a month or two compact it? Even if only a bit? So I'm asking it here, since you guys would have the best idea if it would or not, since I have never had chickens on garden beds before.

So let me sum up and be simple: Will keeping chickens on top of the beds compact Mel's Mix too much?

Sinfonian
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Never thought of that. Good question. That said, I see nothing wrong with chickens tramping down on your Mel's Mix, just as long as you don't. It's a pounds per square inch thing.

Besides, if it looks compacted when you replant, fluff in some compost and you'll be good.

Sorry to hear about the broccoli. I wartered the heck out of mine through the heat and I think they're ok. The succession plants loved it, grew like crazy. There is a fall crop planting soon. KitsapFG probably has it on her schedule.

Good luck and stay cool!

alittletouched
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sad about the broccoli. Unfortunately I was away for the bulk of the days and while my tenant was diligent in watering nightly, it didn't seem to be enough. I'll try doing as Kim said and cut off the main head, but the books I've been looking things up in say that once a broccoli starts to bolt, even the side heads will want to run away. I guess I'll just have to watch extra close!

Maryann
06-13-2009, 01:58 AM
the rain has done a number on my mix. can I add more mix, fluff when I can and put on some mulch? the lettuce loves the rain!:D