PDA

View Full Version : More early flowering plants?

alittletouched
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
It's been very hot the last week, though now it's starting to cool. I posted a week or two ago about my foot-tall tomatoes already flowering and took the great advice about pinching the flowers off. The Romas are now starting to grow taller, finally! So thank you, thank you! Well, now my broccoli's shot because it bolted while I was on a four-day trip and is now flowering and several of my small zucchini seedlings are flowering and forming fruit. I believe this is all because of the uncharacteristic heat.

So the real question is: Should I pinch the flowers from my zucchini too? Or is this the sort of plant that will grow and produce at the same time?

Thank you!

plantoneonme
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I have never pinched the flowers from my zucchini and the plant got plenty large with lots of zucchini to eat.

As for the broccoli when mine decided to go to seed too early last year, I simply cut off the flowered part and let the side shoots develope. I still had plenty of broccoli to eat. I have mine this year underplanted with lettuce and all are doing great so far. Kim