PDA

View Full Version : oh no Ants (I think)

Maryann
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Greetings, something is eating my broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts.
I will try to get the photos to load. I dont WANT to use any chemicals.
Help!
Maryann/Users/maps31/Desktop/DSCN1714.JPG/Users/maps31/Desktop/DSCN1713.JPG :eek:
I hope that comes through

Maryann
06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
DSCN1715.JPG
DSCNi713.jpg
DSCN1714.jpg

kitsapFG
06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Maryann, the files you describe appear to be located on your computer and not on a server accessible by the rest of us via the internet. However, I doubt I need to see your pictures to know that you have cabbage worms. All the crops impacted are cole crops - which is what the cabbage worm feeds on. You need to spray with a Bt solution which is a natural occuring bacteria that is safe for animals, people, and beneficial insects. It affects leaf eating worms and causes them to quit eating and die. In the future, if you do not wish to use Bt - you will need to cover your spring cole crops with a light remay cover to keep the moths from landing on them and laying their eggs (which then go on to become the cabbage worms). Hope that helps.

Sinfonian
06-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Ditto on what KitsapFG said. Personally I use BT as it's organic and not harmful to my kids. I just wait until I see the first hole in a leaf and then spray. I don't notmally see more. Oh and I try watering the ground around the plants so I don't wash it off while the plant is aborbing the bt solution.

Cabbage worms are very common and treatable. Good luck!