PDA

View Full Version : Growing Potatoes

Garst
06-12-2009, 07:12 AM
I have a potato mounding question. This is our first time growing potatoes. We grow everything in raised beds made from creating linear valleys and piling the loam into ridges that are 12" or more in height by 36" wide. We planted our potatoes at 12" on-center. NOW, here is the issue: we did not fully comprehend that we should be mounding the plants with loam or straw and here it is mid-June. It has rained about every day and has been hard to get into the garden. The plants are now about 18" tall. What should we do? Mound around them with the straw? Should we bend them over and mound around them? Should they be clipped back to just a few inches tall and then mound them? Leave them alone? Will they produce anything if left alone? (Obviously I'm feeling desperate..we really screwed-up!):confused:

gardengirl72
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Mound them all the way around with loam or straw letting the top leaves and branch pop out. as it grows continue mounding around it as wide around as you possibly can.

Computer Cowboy
06-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I start by digging a trench about a foot deep, and planting the seed potatoes in the bottom. When the plants are around eight inches tall, I bury them like Patti says, with only a little bit of leaf showing. Then, when they're another eight inches above that level, I bury them again. I keep doing that until I've got a mound above the original trench that's about two feet above the original planting depth.

In your situation, though, I'm guessing you could go ahead and mound the plants all at once without ill effects, though I've never done it like that. I don't believe I'd cut or bend the plants, however. Even if you do nothing at this point, you'll get something, even if it's just a pile of delicious little 'new potatoes'. That's a pretty happy failure to have!

Linda
06-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I have planted my potatoes in buckets because I just don't have the room. I kept adding soil to the very top of my cans and they have done very well. So, my question is this, when do I know it's time to harvest? Also, I seem to have gotten some black spots and slightly yellowing. Do I have a problem or what?
Thanks
Linda

Sinfonian
06-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Too much or not enough water. Adjust your schedule a bit.

Harvest new potatoes when flowers form. Harvest mature potatoes two weeks after the vines die back naturally (withhold water once you figure out it's not you killing them).

Good luck!

gardengirl72
06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Please update us on your potatoes.

Garden Addict
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
I planted (1) row of Yukon Gold and (1) row of Kennebec both about 65 feet long. I started digging the Yukons last week and their beautiful. I've dug about 7 feet of row and have gotten about 20 lbs. so far. I've also tried using 20 gal. tubs for growing potatoes. I'll let you know how they turn out. Hopefully good so i can use the room in the garden for more sweet corn.

Sinfonian
07-28-2009, 11:36 PM
That's great! Especially for Yukon Golds, which are an early variety and thus only set fruit once so hilling won't benefit them. I have mine in my SFG and my late producers in Build-As-You-Grow bins

Garden Addict
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm pleased so far with the quality and quantities. I dug (1) plant of the kennebec yesterday and got 3 large and 4 medium potatoes which is excellent yield. If that is what i can expect from the rest i'll have plenty to store and lots to give away. I can't wait to see what the 20 gal. tubs produce.

macnugget
10-20-2009, 11:17 PM
do you have an update on your 20gal tub how much did it yield
I'm pleased so far with the quality and quantities. I dug (1) plant of the kennebec yesterday and got 3 large and 4 medium potatoes which is excellent yield. If that is what i can expect from the rest i'll have plenty to store and lots to give away. I can't wait to see what the 20 gal. tubs produce.

ohiogardener
11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
One of my goals next year is to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes. I planned to build 2 more 4x4 beds, but I have toyed with the idea of using an old trash bin or even a bin full of leaves (kind of like the compost bins that Patti made from galvanized wire). Raised beds look nicer, but I'm not sure how the mounding would work out. Any input would be awesome! Thanks!

Warlord
11-18-2009, 09:53 PM
We grew Yukon Golds this year. We got a good yield, but some of them turned out green. I heard somewhere that this can happen if the potatoe plants are not covered with enough soil. Warren

Garden Addict
11-23-2009, 06:40 PM
My 20 gal tubs didn't do as good as i had hoped. Although i did get a fair quantity most were of average size. The potatoes in the ground did great. The yukons had very good size and about 3 to 4 per plant. The kennebec were fantastic. Some of the biggest i've grown in some time and the quantities were incredible. The last 20 feet of row had over 60 lbs. I had some green tops but that was my fault for not adding coverage but there wasn't many of those. I had a few potatoes that had scabby skin but once peeled they were pure white. No rot, no insect problems, all in all this was a very good year for potatoes. Next year i'll try adding a mixture of 50% screen soil from the garden to the tubs and see how that works.

(Counting the days till spring)

Cynthia
11-24-2009, 06:46 AM
congratulations on your good crop!

Garden Addict
11-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Thank you Cynthia, I hope next year is just as good. Now if i can find a way to keep late blight off of my tomatoes i'll really be happy

macnugget
11-28-2009, 01:33 AM
thanks for the up date