PDA

View Full Version : How do the chickens till their droppings into the soil?

daddylonglegs
06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I thought the video said that the chickens actually till the soil while their tracter is on the bed. Is there no wire at the bottom?
I'm a little confused. Thanks, DaddyLongLegs.

kinnisoj
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Their is no wire at the bottom of the cage or tractor. This way they can get to the soil. Dont take the word tilling too much to heart but they do a pretty good job..

daddylonglegs
06-14-2009, 04:01 AM
I see, so you really do have to chase the chickens around when you change beds. Thanks for the answer.

kinnisoj
06-14-2009, 08:58 AM
I dont see why you couldnt make the nest box area with a actuall floor and a door so you could lock them in during moving time. Chasing a bunch of chickens around dosnt sound like alot of fun. Fun to watch....

daddylonglegs
07-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I can't quite picture myself chasing the chickens around the yard. That's a good idea.
Thanks,
DaddyLongLegs

gardengirl72
07-04-2009, 06:54 AM
In one of my videos not sure which one, I moved the cage over to the bed next to it and in the process the chickens moved with the cage! only a few got out that I had to round up. You can grab them one by one and put them in a box, then move the cage and release them into it. I have also let them go lose then put a ramp and food inside the cage and they gow right in. Chasing the chickens is just a fun novelty and there are many ways around it. My chickens are my pets and are used to me and trained by now. Yours will be as well.

Aspen
07-05-2009, 11:24 AM
I love to chase my chickens! It is good exercise for me and them. It really has become a game. They will eventually go in for me. I think they know I will catch them at some point. They squawk and carry on while running, but when I pick them up they start that low, happy chicken sound. Spoiled girls!

nandmsmom
07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
I guess my tractor is a little different. It has wheels and a small coop/house above the open area where they get closed in at night. When they're put to bed, I can easily move them to the next spot. There are pictures of it on my blog. The address is in my link.

Fred's Fine Fowl
04-04-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qzMZ5U2bbo

this is the coop....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljyyhk1xESA

I allow the birds to forage on the surface material, but the actual "tilling" I do myself...

I've also tried the no-till method and had moderate success, but when amending (tilling in) the coop droppings and shavings from the coops, I use machines.

Also, feather footed breeds of chickens are less capable of "digging into" the soil than are the bare or featherless legged breeds... Barred Plymouth Rocks and Rhode Island Red, Leghorn and other large standard breeds will perform this service very well...

Have fun!
Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com