PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from southern Colorado

Computer Cowboy
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Hello folks,

What a delight to find a spot with so many kindred spirits! I've been reading Patti's excellent articles in Organic Gardening magazine for quite awhile.

We try to produce almost everything we need foodwise on our little place, even though it's only a 1/5 acre town lot. Over the years, we've learned alot of important lessons the hard way and have steadily increased our production. One of the key lessons has been that, in this hot, arid region, much of the advice found in gardening books needs to be disregarded. Until you get innovative and experimental in your thinking, you don't successfully grow much around here. Three years ago, we hit the magical milestone of reliably growing enough of everything to last beyond the next year's harvest! Yep, it can be done.

This year we're raising 47 different foods, all organically, and plan to continue our habit of avoiding the grocery store as much as possible. We also live in a pretty energy-efficient adobe house, heat entirely with wood, and compost everything that's compostable.

Here's a shot of one of our raised beds from last season:

http://www.computer-cowboy.net/images/garden1.jpg

Yeah, I know it looks crowded for most parts of the world, but that's one of the keys to success in these parts; crowding shades the soil.

Here's to nonconsumerism!

MoniDew
06-18-2009, 09:52 AM
WOWZA! You've really given the rest of us something to aspire to! Thank you!

And, welcome to the boards! I can tell already - you're going to be a major asset around here!

SimplyForties
06-18-2009, 10:46 AM
What you are doing is an inspiration. Welcome! I'd never think of Colorado as hot and arid but can totally relate to your comment about gardening books and that sort of climate. They never help here in West Texas either!

Maryann
06-18-2009, 12:32 PM
That is fantastic! I am a first year gardener and I keep saying to myself that I have to stop! How much can 2 ppl eat! I will be preping for and planting cabbages today and maybe another tomato or 2

kinnisoj
06-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Were at in southern Colorado do you live? Im down here outside of Trinidad! small world...and yes you are totally right about having to do things different that what alot of the books say.We were doing so good with the rains their for a bit but it sure dosnt take long to turn dry huh.

Computer Cowboy
06-19-2009, 07:05 AM
And thanks for all the appreciation for our humble efforts.

Kinnisoj, I'm near Trinidad too. And SimplyForties, this area isn't like the rest of Colorado, climatewise. Think New Mexico, which is within sight. Lets just say that when the seed packet says 'full sun', they're not talking about our 'full sun'!

SimplyForties
06-19-2009, 08:43 AM
And SimplyForties, this area isn't like the rest of Colorado, climatewise. Think New Mexico, which is within sight. Lets just say that when the seed packet says 'full sun', they're not talking about our 'full sun'!

lol - I hear you! I'm a couple hundred miles east of El Paso and that's the way we garden too! They don't write those instructions with "our sun" in mind!

gardengirl72
06-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for posting the picture. Your garden is amazing. I love the use of brick. Welcome to the boards!

Computer Cowboy
06-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks Patti! I laid brick walkways along both sides of the bed and down the middle, to help prevent compaction of the soil. There's about four and a half feet between the walkways so I can reach all parts of the bed without walking on them. All that would be fine, I think, except for the fact that I always crowd the plantings to the point where everything grows over the walkways! If I were a sensible person, this would probably bother me.