PDA

View Full Version : I am sooo ready for goats!

Aspen
06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I have been gearing up for goats for over a year. I really want the pygora goats, they are the perfect size. I am having trouble finding a local breeder. I have considered going to our local auction place, Dinky's, to see if they have any up for auction. Hub is about to have a fit--I have so many critters! I also know if I go to Dinky's, I'll be at risk for getting another rabbit. Or two. What to do??

Kittikity
06-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't know about your area.. But in mine its a bad idea to get any kind of livestock from auctions.. People usually use the auctions as a place to offload sick or low quality animals.. From my understanding, pygoras are a cross between pygmies and angoras.. Maybe put a wanted add in your local flyer, craigslist, or even look for some goat groups in your area.. Yahoo groups has lots of goat groups.. You might even be able to find one specifically for pygoras.. Or just do a google search for pygora clubs, groups, or associations..

As for your husband, not really sure.. I usually offer something in return that he wants.. = )

kinnisoj
06-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Call up you local high school and ask if the have a 4-H program or if the have the FFA progaram. If the do they will have a contact # and this will hook you up. Also if you go this route you will be buying "kid raised" animals and 9 times out of 10 they seem to be outstanding animals. Plus you are helping out a young person trying to get into the farm/ranch life.
It just occured to me that you could go to the 4-h web site and get your local chapter #.
As far as Kittykitty's bartering techniques,well lets just say I built a attachment off of the house when my wife used that on me. BECAREFULL!

gardengirl72
06-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Nubians are great too. Any small goat will work well. Pygoras are much harder to find.