PDA

View Full Version : 6' tall tomatos- to late to sucker/prune?

jstar
06-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I didn't understand and still don't, really, how to sucker and now my plants have bushed out and taken over the peppers. Is it to late to sucker/prune them? They have many blossoms and a good amount of tomatos but if they can be pruned wont they focus on growing more omatos and ripening the existing ones?

Star

Sinfonian
06-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Correct, and it's never too late to prune/sucker. It may even be easier now. A sucker is a vine growing out of a V that has no fruit on it. They rarely do so I pinch them when I notice it (note that sucker can be replanted immediately and grow). So now, if there are tomatoes growing on a sucker, leave it.

Suckers take water and nutrients from the plant and fruit. Pruning has the same effect, removing dead weight. Careful not to prune too much that you sunburn your tomatoes. There are videos online showing how. Good luck.

gardengirl72
06-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Great advice Rich. There's also an article on it in the latest issue of grow magazine Vol. 2.

MoniDew
06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
thank you for such a clear explanation!

gardengirl72
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
Careful not to prune too much that you sunburn your tomatoes.

Prune all the branches below the lowest cluster of flowers so this won't happen.