PDA

View Full Version : Question for Our Expert, Fred!!

JudyH
06-23-2009, 07:07 AM
You know, when you buy chicks there's only an 80% chance that you're buying the exact sexed chick that you want. So, with my dozen chicks (all supposed to be female) I did expect up to 1 or 2 roos. Well, I got 2 LOL

Capri (he was "supposed" to be a she LOL) is the Barred Rock rooster. Such a beautiful rooster too... but he's getting more and more aggressive! ERRR!!!! Now at 4 months old, all of his hormones have kicked into gear. He's doing more than just trying to breed with the girls, he's also beating them up pretty badly. And, he's getting more and more aggressive with me too.

I have to take a stick in the coop or run with me now just in case he decides to take a run at me. He's afraid of the stick LOL He's not afraid of my foot unfortunately.

Originally I thought I might have a roo or two in the flock based on statistics. And I thought that if I did, I would just either have any roosters processed or possibly give them away if they became aggressive. Then later I read how having a rooster is good for a flock because the rooster is the caretaker and protector. So I kind of changed my mind about roosters thinking that maybe they were not so bad after all.

Well, having Capri and seeing how aggressive he is becoming at about 4 months old is making me re-think keeping any roosters in my flock. Fred, is this just a "phase" that Capri is going through as he is maturing or is this pretty much how he is going to be from this point forward?

Fred's Fine Fowl
06-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Judy...

Each bird has it's personality and sometimes it's not a good one.

Problem is, this propensity to attack people is good for the flock on free range, as they protect their hens. Exactly what they are genetically coded to do.

In a domestic setting, it can be real bad news as you are learning. A Barred Rock Rooster is going to get big, heavy and have long spurs eventually. They begin to play a game of "red light, green light" rushing up on you when you turn your back and then standing still when you are looking at them.

Does the personality change as they get older? Well towards the hens, yes... as he becomes more confident in his flock status, he will calm down towards them. However, towards people, he will remain aggressive and that can be dangerous if children are visiting your flock.

My 19 year old son Joshua was pecked in the neck by a rooster when he was 5 years old (boy not rooster) and hates chickens to this day! It could have just as easily been his eye. Later on, another rooster spurred him right through the shoe!

If you were safe from young visitors, you could try to tame your rooster... one method is to always approach him with treats in your hand to draw him close. Pick him up and giving him the football carry, hold him the entire time you walk around inspecting your chickens or collecting eggs. If he flaps and resists, never release him during a fit. Always hold him until he's calm and then gently release him. If they are released during a flurry of flapping and or squawking, then they think they have escaped some imaginary danger.

I have removed all aggressive birds from my breeding pool... and the result has been roosters that are gentle towards people.

So... I personally think your rooster is a liability unfortunately.

I wish you the best of luck with him!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com