PDA

View Full Version : Garden's all planted but I won't be here to see it mature!

SimplyForties
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
My new raised beds with their deer deterrent cages are all planted. Chicken tractor on raised bed is in. Five week old chickens happily preparing that bed for me. I was all set to surge ahead on my urban sustainability in a big way this year. Opportunity has knocked though and I'm going to have to answer! I've accepted a position as a caretaker on a small farm in Virginia. I've lived in this same small West Texas town for 31 years and now, I'm selling up and moving north in one month!

My house and almost all of my possessions are going and I'm hitting the road towards a simpler life. A guy came yesterday and bought all my chickens and chicken paraphernalia yesterday. I was sad to see them go :( but I know I'll get new ones up there. I hope the new homeowners like to garden because they'll be getting some nice ones!

I should be there in time to plant a fall garden anyway. Darn I'm going to miss all those tomatoes!

If you're interested, you can read more about it here:

http://www.simplyforties.com/2009/06/big-changes-new-life.html

riskybidnes
06-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Simplyforties,
Sounds like life will be really exciting for you for a while. I have lived in southern Va all my life and there is no where else I would like to live.Where abouts are you headed, we are here in Martinsville,Va. If you are anywhere close and need help with finding anything let me know. Good luck to you on your travels and when you reach your destiny.
Scott
Ps I just read your blog and realized that you want to be anonymous, so dont worry about that question regarding where you are moving. :)

SimplyForties
06-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Actually, for me, being anonymous on my blog is different from being anonymous on forums! I'm moving just outside Hillsville. It's about 90 miles west of Roanoke, off I-77. Are you familiar with that area? I grew up in Potomac, Maryland but haven't been back up there in a really long time and have never been to that part of Virginia. I never thought my path would take me back to that area!

Thank you for your good wishes! :)

Aspen
06-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Best of luck and keep that blog updated so we can follow your adventure!

SimplyForties
06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Simplyforties,
Sounds like life will be really exciting for you for a while. I have lived in southern Va all my life and there is no where else I would like to live.Where abouts are you headed, we are here in Martinsville,Va. If you are anywhere close and need help with finding anything let me know. Good luck to you on your travels and when you reach your destiny.
Scott
Ps I just read your blog and realized that you want to be anonymous, so dont worry about that question regarding where you are moving. :)

I just looked you up on the map Scott. Oh my goodness, you're right down the street! Now I really appreciate your offer of help! Am I moving to as beautiful a place as I think I am?

Thanks again!

Maryann
06-26-2009, 12:06 PM
I can understand about the garden but what you ARE doing! what an adventure! That is a once in a lifetime. clean slate, go directly to home!
I can't even imagine the scariness of it all, but I envy you.
just get planning for next years beds, look into winter gardening .
all the best
Maryann

http://maryannsadventure.blogspot.com

(its all nee)

SimplyForties
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks Maryann - I'm trying to keep my "eyes on the prize" and not let myself get too bogged down by all that needs to be done. Some days that's easier and some days harder! :) I can't wait to put all this "stuff" behind me and get to the farm!

riskybidnes
06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Hillsville is about an hour drive up the mountain for me. They have a huge flea market up there and people come from all over the state. If you like the mountains, you should love Hillsville. It's a slow paced little town, not much going on, but it has some beautiful views. The Blue Ridge parkway is not far from where you will be and it is one of Virginia's best attractions. I saw on your blog you enjoy wine- there is a wonderful winery not far from Hillsville called Chateau Morisette(sp?).
http://www.chateaumorrisette.com/

There is a lot of really nice people in that area and I hope you enjoy yourself. The temperatures are always about ten degrees cooler up there compared to where I am at, I have always liked that. Also, being from Texas, I dont know how much snow you have seen, but you should see a fair amount where you are going. The mountains always block the snow from getting down here in the foothills. Sorry, I am rambling. If you need anything, and I can help let me know.:)

SimplyForties
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Thank you so much for that great information! Winter is a bit of a concern for me but I'm hoping I'll adapt to it. I'm sure I'll be visiting that winery soon! I'm coming from an area of really nice people in lovely small towns and I'm glad to know that I'm moving to the same sort of place!