PDA

View Full Version : Hello from northern California

dogmom4
09-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Stacy and I'm gardening in Northern California. We can garden year round here because of the climate, but my challenges are hard clay soil and tall trees in my small suburban backyard. I do a combination of mostly containers and two raised beds. Patti, I LOVE your videos! They are so inspirational...they keep me trying when it sometimes it gets discouraging.

MistieMae1
09-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Welcome, Stacy!

We have an issue with trees on our little lot too AND we have heavy clay soil. Even a couple years of compost additions have done wonders though.

Now you have a whole group of people to support and inspire you through the hard times. Isn't that great? :)

plantoneonme
09-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the group. I do a lot of containers and have cement soil (heavy clay). I made a large raised bed and plan on adding more...it is much easier than ammending the clay. What I like about containers is that I can find little sunny spots to put them in.

gardengirl72
09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Stacy, welcome! And forget about trying to ammend your soil, too much back breaking labor. Build on top of it. Put a raised bed on the ground, an inch of Gravel on top(for drainage) and fill with soil. Ammend with compost yearly and you will be ready to go!

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Welcome, Stacy! Gardening year-round (without special climate protections) is so lovely--I lived in Tallahassee, FL for a while and was setting out tomato plants in containers in February and March! SOOO nice.

How do the plants in your containers do versus the raised beds?

dogmom4
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
My plants do better in raised beds...mostly because the containers have to be watered daily (or sometimes twice daily) during the summer. I still am able to grow some nice sized plants in containers.

herb girl
11-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Welcome Stacy,

So you have hard clay soil too? Guess it goes coast to coast :) (I'm in PA with the same problem, only it's mixed with shale too.

Anyway, glad your here. I always like to read posts from folks with year round nice weather! Makes me feel warmer somehow.