PDA

View Full Version : starting new plants from the old

Maryann
06-28-2009, 02:31 PM
granted, I am probably pushing the envelope.
What's worse is I had a dream about it:confused:
I dont want to give up yet on my red romaine, its wonderful and tasty. When I cut the finished product off (I have been cheating) can I bury the stalk and have it start another? That would be a dream come true!

gardengirl72
06-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Harvest the outside leaves and leave the inner ones to grow. It will give you a continual harvest!

MoniDew
07-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I've also heard about, and used, a method called "cut and come again". I leave the entire root structure in the ground, and give the tops an occasional "haircut", straight across with a serrated kitchen knife. In another 3-4 days, I have another salad! If you have enough lettuce planted, you can rotate through which ones are getting their haircuts, and have salad every day! :D

I don't know if this extends the life or the season for your lettuce or not. I just never knew any other way. So, maybe I should be more delicate and gentle, like Patti, and just take the outer leaves. :confused:

Maryann
07-20-2009, 01:24 AM
I have been using the outside leaves but the dang thing bolted along with most of my leafy greens. I probably need to start more from seed and use the other lettuce that is coming up in stages, I like the red romaine best so far.
Maryann