PDA

View Full Version : Guineafowl advice needed

daddylonglegs
07-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I have a snake problem in my garden. Seems that garter snakes have make their nest and home under my front stairs.

My 80 year old mother is terrified, me not so much...I'm not fond of using a sawed off shotgun as has been suggested in certain chats...

Anyway, I've been wanting some fowl and I read that Guinea fowl will either eat the snakes or chase them away. They also feast on all the bugs that snakes eat and not the good frogs that also eat bugs.

My question is: How do I keep them confined to my gardens? I live in a suburb and can't have them running around the neighborhood or for sure I'll get a phone call from the zoning board. I realize that fencing will do it, but after I've spent thousands of dollars on pretty landscaping, fencing doesn't appeal to me.

Any thoughts on how to keep my hens confined to my little gardens? Or better ideas on the snakes??

Thanks
Daddy Long Legs!

Fred's Fine Fowl
07-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok... someone is terrified of the snakes beneath the stairs?

My approach is completely different than finding something to eat the highly beneficial garter snakes (completely harmless)...

I have found that people of all ages (even 80 year olds) are capable of learning and enjoying a new experience. We had a visitor here, with a life long fear of snakes, just knowing that any are "out there" will keep her inside. I went about turning logs in the woods and evaluating wood piles until I found a small garter snake. Within an hour of calm introductions (at a comfortable distance), she was fascinated by all snakes do for us and by the end of the conversation, she was touching and then finally holding the snake. She can't stop talking about how she held a snake! I have found that people simply don't seem to know or understand about snakes and so despise and form irrational prejudice to the point of wanting things dead.

Garter snakes will eat more slugs and snails than any combination of domesticated fowl... without compare. If they are living under the stair, then there is access to foundation cracks or areas where they can get to a cool place... such as piles of debris. If you don't want them there, I say simply remove the habitat and they will move on. They don't make nests, they simply find suitable areas.

Guinea fowl are a bad idea in the city. They are long distance runners and fliers not to mention being the champions of the barnyard when it comes to making noise. Caging them and restricting their activities is a huge source of stress for them. Also, they focus more on bugs than reptiles and amphibians, and are apt to ignore a snake, save to make a huge ruckus as they gaze at it, not eating it. Chickens are quicker to eat small snakes and lizards... as well as mice. They have learned that toads don't taste good and thus avoid them. So, what I'm saying there, is if you are intent on getting something to kill and eat another bug eater, then chickens are a better choice than are the guineas.

Get Guineas in the city and you are certain to be in violation of some noise ordinance, not to mention seeing your neighbors marching on your property with bats, shotguns and bazookas (while wearing hearing protection) (">

I know it's obviously not my decision to make... but my opinion is, allow the garter snakes to live and do what they do (better than any chicken or guinea can) eat slugs and other plant damaging critters.

happy 4th of July!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com
Let me introduce you to a tiny snake... please watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRUtbqZWtR0

Kittikity
07-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Tell her they are glass snakes which are actually just legless lizards.. lol

Fred is right.. Try education before eradication..

SimplyForties
07-04-2009, 04:20 PM
This isn't a helpful response to your problem but I WISH I had garter snakes in my garden! They eat all sorts of things and are completely harmless.

In addition to keeping your guineas on your suburban property you'd also have to think of a way to keep them quiet. In my experience, guineas can be pretty noisy, not so great when you have neighbors!

Aspen
07-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I would love to have Guineafowl here at Cackle Berry farm, but my concern is that they will go nuts in my garden. I think they would be amazing to reduce my bug population, but my garden is not fenced at this time and I know they would probaby be able to get over any fence I put up, unless I had netting over the top.

I haven't seen any garter snakes yet, but I am sure they are around. I live in a semi-secluded area with a lot of wildlife, so I probably have many types of snakes. Seeing the number of field mice, there is plenty for a snake to eat!

daddylonglegs
07-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't think I like snakes enough to help my mother get cozy with them, but if I come face to face with one, I can deal with it. Mom will just have to get over it.

Killing anything isn't my idea of a good time.
Thanks for the answers.

Best,
DaddyLongLegs.