PDA

View Full Version : Winter, snow tractor questions

daddylonglegs
07-04-2009, 05:37 AM
When the snow comes and the ground is frozen, what do you do? Chickens cant till frozen soil. Do you put a tarp over the beds so that when you move the tractor, you can peel the snow off it? Don't the chickens need to be inside? Won't they freeze to death?
Thanks for answers, Maybe I am over thinking this thing.

gardengirl72
07-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Tarps work, an extra secure shelter works, heated wateres work. Think about pidgeons. They live outside in the snow and winter without a man made shelter and food and fresh water. Take good care of them and they will be fine. Hope this answer helps!

kinnisoj
07-04-2009, 11:19 AM
The biggest thing to remeber with chickens and freezing weather is that if you make them a draft free roosting area they can handle some reel cold temps. I take their feed bags and staple them up on the inside of the hen house and on the inside of the tractor house. Its good recycling and the thick plastic does a great job of stopping the wind.
A few years back we had one storm that dumped over 4' in 3-4 days. I kept their food topped off, their water full and abit of a air hole and all was well. They actully keep the hen house warm enough the water never went completely solid last year. Chunky yes solid block no.
Fred, what is your thoughts?

daddylonglegs
07-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Great, I'm getting there.
I'll be building my raised beds and tractor over the winter. There will be plenty of time for me to get it all together before winter comes.

Thanks
DaddyLongLegs