PDA

View Full Version : Foraging or Wildcrafting

FuriousOne
07-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I was blessed over this 4th weekend.

Took a ride to store with my soul mate and on way back saw some black eyed susans in this 30 acre lot that has been for sale forever. I don't have any seed so i figured I would pick a few to hang for seed for next year. Well long story short I go to pick them and stumble on a grove of wild blackberry bushes growing from this massive pile of stumps.

After picking about 4 cups worth (man that blackberry cobbler was good last night) we headed back with buckets and shovel today to transplant about 5 bushes into my garden.

After enjoying cobbler :) , we decided to go for a walk (pre fireworks) and ran across more blackberry bushes on side of the roads we walk and a huge stand of mulberry trees just bursting with fruit. (These finds are all on giant lots that sit for sale). Going back later this week to collect enough mulberrys for a run of jam.

Point is get out, look around your neighborhood. A neighbor down the street has a huge crab apple tree that is in full fruit that is just dropping onto the road. I'm gonna stop by and see if she mines me gleaning some off the tree.
Anywhere you go there is stuff to be found. Soul mate and I went to the local train tracks today to collect cattail reeds for duck decoys I make. (Indian heritage showing here)..

Climbs off soap box, just excited by my "finds"

SimplyForties
07-06-2009, 12:55 AM
What a fantastic find! Lucky you!