PDA

View Full Version : Soil Solarization and Pavers?

Sabbath
07-08-2009, 12:30 PM
So, I have a paved patio in my backyard that takes up quite a bit of space. Right now it is overrun (and I do mean it, up to my waist weeds) with creeping charlie and various other weeds etc. I do not want to use any chemicals in my backyard, because we have chickens and I want them to be able to roam around soon here, but I need to get rid of these weeds between the pavers. It is INSANE. So, I was looking around and came across soil solarization. Has anyone tried that LEAVING the pavers in place? Any reason that wouldn't work? I know one of the benefits is to kill things like fungi in the soil as well, but I just want to kill weeds. If I have to, I will pull up the pavers, and put down gravel instead, but I JUST HATE THESE WEEDS!! And I can't keep up with them, even with my battery powered weed whacker. Sigh. HELP!! :(

gardengirl72
07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Please post a picture if you can. The only way to eliminate the weeds is to have the pavers in concrete. What ive done is plant grass seed so much that it chokes anything else from growing. My chickens are able to eat the grass as well from time to time. Hope this helps!

Sabbath
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Please post a picture if you can. The only way to eliminate the weeds is to have the pavers in concrete. What ive done is plant grass seed so much that it chokes anything else from growing. My chickens are able to eat the grass as well from time to time. Hope this helps!

I will try to get a picture here in the next few hours.

I don't mind if I still need to weed back there, but there are a LOT of weeds. Personally, I don't really like the pavers anyway, so it might be worth taking them up if only to do something different after we kill a lot of weeds. We'll see I guess. The previous owner (we just moved in) didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL with the yard. Very clean slate I suppose, but it's a clean slate that is overrun with an insane amount of weeds! Sigh. Must not buy roundup, must not buy roundup, must not buy roundup......(seriously, I never would, but I can see the appeal in situations such as this!)

Kittikity
07-10-2009, 01:52 PM
You could buy a roll of black plastic and weight it down with bricks, gallon jugs of water, or even some of the pavers themselves.. The black plastic blocks out any sun and it also gets very hot under there.. The heat can also kill some of the weed seeds..

Sabbath
07-10-2009, 02:11 PM
See, that's what I was thinking too. Black plastic, even for just a week or two would probably do the trick.....

I am just gonna do it and see what happens. If we destroy the pavers, oh well! I don't know how we could, but I guess if we do, we do!