PDA

View Full Version : Meat Chickens vs Egg Chickens

holliellen
07-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have never had chickens before and am interested and getting them. So from what I have picked up from reading various articles is that there are different chickens for eggs and meat. Is that correct? I would like to have meat and eggs. Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Hollie

Fred's Fine Fowl
07-13-2009, 07:24 PM
If I understand your post correctly, you want a breed of chicken which is equally suitable for eggs and also pretty decent in the meat category if you need a Sunday specialty for the table?

There are two breeds which are standouts in this category, both are American Breeds...

My first recommendation is the large Standard Single Comb Rhode Island Red.
Among the dual purpose breeds, the Red is an outstanding layer to boot. Reds also adapt well to a variety of environments and range very well (if you have the space)... some of the hybrid Red Roosters can be aggressive, so consider that also.

Second choice is the Barred Plymouth Rock... another beautiful bird that lays regularly and puts on weight at a pretty good rate. There was a ALBC (American Livestock Breeds Conservancy) cook-off to see which chicken was the best tasting and wouldn't ya know it, the Barred Plymouth Rock was determined to taste the most like... well... Chicken?! {">

I think the Reds were loading the ballot box in favor of the Rocks!

There are other breeds considered "dual-purpose" but I really see no need to continue the discussion much further than the reds and rocks.

After that, it's more a matter of personal aesthetic than the utility value of the birds.

Oh, also, the eggs they lay are brown . Beautiful Bountiful Buff Brown Boisterous Bags of shelled beauty... (sorry about that)... I get in moods :}

Wishing you well...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

oh see a video which includes these breeds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7M3WbIemi4

I can ship day old rocks.... if anyone is interested, please contact me.

holliellen
07-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Fred,
Thanks for the reply. You really helped me out. I wasnt thinking of a dual purpose bird. I was thinking that I would have to have two kinds but the dual purpose sounds great! I will order some from you when I am ready.
Thanks Again,
Hollie

SimplyForties
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I'd put in a vote for the Buckeye. Buckeyes are an endangered heritage breed of dual-purpose chicken developed by a woman in Ohio around 1902. They are excellent free-range birds with great mousing abilities - no barn cats needed! They are also a friendly breed! Google the breed and you'l find lots of info.