PDA

View Full Version : Tomatos lots of flowers but no little tomatos

daddylonglegs
07-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I have my tomato plants in large 15 gallon smart pots. They are very green, lush and have lots of flowers and have for sometime. Lots of flowers but no fruit. But I don't see any evidence of tomatoes. Am I too early? I am in Rhode Island.
Thanks
Daddy Long Legs

nandmsmom
07-14-2009, 06:49 PM
You aren't very far from me. All the rain and cold we had in June has really stunted the tomatoes and peppers. Your other problem could be pollination. Brush the plants with your hands whenever you go by, to send the pollin to the other flowers. I have some tomatoes on my plants but their small. Some of my neighbors have none.

kitsapFG
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
If your temperatures have been dipping down to below 55 at night, then it really slows down the tomato production. They really really like a nice steady warmish environment (not blazing hot really but warm - 70 to 85 degrees is ideal) and consistently so. So when night time temps drop down to below 55 degrees it makes fruit set and ripening difficult. Particularly if you are not growing varieties bred to set fruit in cooler conditions.

My climate is naturally more mild and cool during the summer - so this is always a battle for us. Have learned:

1) be patient, they WILL come - just later;
2) use tricks to keep the soil as warm as possible - particular to hold heat during night time lows (I use red plastic mulch on my tomato bed and it helps with this)
3) be patient, they WILL come. :)

gardengirl72
07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Our weather in New England was a real problem for the tomatoes this year. I have squash coming in and am finally seeing tomatoes on my plants. Hang in there.

daddylonglegs
07-18-2009, 06:32 AM
I bought some tomato plants from QVC Cottage Farms. They are really different varieties from what I'm used to seeing so maybe they are not cold-hearty. Since my post I've started to see some small fruit. Some of the plants are producing very odd shapes of fruit but fruit none the less.

I am new to this and learning more every day. I just love this site, it is so helpful and inspirational too.

Yes, indeed New England has had some tough weather for growing. But I would do it all over again. I'm learning so much, that next year my garden will be great! Thanks again everyone.

Daddy

nandmsmom
07-19-2009, 03:41 PM
I believe that Cottage Farms are in the south. The weather here in New England is finally getting warmer. There are finally lots of fruit on my plants. Patience is a necessity with gardening. And as always... Next year will be the best garden yet!

gardengirl72
07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
What varieties are you growing. Are they Heirloom? If so they are shaped differently. As I tended the garden this weekend I see that I have a lot of tomatoes coming in now. Please post a picture when you get a chance.

daddylonglegs
07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
That man that owns it is more beautiful than his tomatoes.
:)

I believe that Cottage Farms are in the south. The weather here in New England is finally getting warmer. There are finally lots of fruit on my plants. Patience is a necessity with gardening. And as always... Next year will be the best garden yet!

FuriousOne
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Did you all see the video on the weather channel that the tomatoes in New England are in danger of being attacked by the potato blight? Be on the watch, they said once you realise you have it in garden its basically too late.

gardengirl72
07-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Did you all see the video on the weather channel that the tomatoes in New England are in danger of being attacked by the potato blight? Be on the watch, they said once you realise you have it in garden its basically too late.

Can you post a link. I am very interested to know more

FuriousOne
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I cant find the video my dh showed me on the weather channel but here is a link to another video about it http://www.wktv.com/news/local/49886092.html

as well as here with the basil downy mildew infecting the northeast
http://www.ccnmag.com/article/blight_attacking_northeast_gardens_and_farms