PDA

View Full Version : Mint

gardengirl72
07-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I have been really into mint for quite a while. I am currently growing Orange mint, spearmint, chocolate mint, regular old mint. I just saw ginger mint for sale and resisted the temptation. Any one else grow any interesting varieties of mint?

kitsapFG
07-21-2009, 11:23 PM
I do not have any mint growing at present. I used to at our old homestead but have not let any get established here. At our old place, we had to bring in some fill dirt for our lawn area when we established it. The dirt we had hauled in was supposed to be "potato dirt" from the potato processing plants nearby (shaken off of the spuds from the truck). What we ended up instead was dirt that was from a mint processing area and as you know... mint grows by rhizome and spreads like wild fire! Our lawn always smelled SOOO GOOD after we mowed it! Mojitos any one?! :D

Computer Cowboy
07-22-2009, 07:09 AM
I grow spearmint and (yet another interesting local wild plant) yerba buena. Both are great in tea, Vietnamese spring rolls and mint juleps!

FuriousOne
07-22-2009, 09:06 AM
I have apple mint and pineapple mint in my herb garden. Both of them smell heavenly when I am harvesting them for drying.

gardengirl72
07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I gave in and bought the ginger mint. I guess I'm just a mint hoarder!

gardengirl72
07-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm still going to get apple mint and pineapple mint and call it good this year!

Cynthia
07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
catnip
peppermint
spearmint
bergamot

Garden Green
07-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Lots and lots of peppermint. I enjoyed having it on hand for everything, but it really took over and was very difficult to keep contained.

Sinfonian
07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
A local gardening friend of mine has window-boxes full of mint (it spreads otherwise as stated above). She has at least 5 varieties including anaise (licorice) mint. She crushes a few leaves in ice water all summer to make mint flavored water. It's great and free! I am definitely doing this with a few next year.

My brother has some wild in his garden and patio area and it's impossible to get rid of. Though we love playing kick the mint when we do garden tours. It smells so nice.

SimplyForties
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I had 5 different mints growing in my mint garden in Texas. There is some regular household mint at the farm here in Virgiina and I'm looking forward to expanding the varieties. I really love a varigated mint in the bed.

MoniDew
08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
catnip
peppermint
spearmint
bergamot

didn't know that bergamot was a mint~ I thought it was citrus peel...and made great Earl Grey Tea :)

MoniDew
08-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Lots and lots of peppermint. I enjoyed having it on hand for everything, but it really took over and was very difficult to keep contained.

oh, yeah! me too!

Cynthia
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
http://www.calflora.net/bloomingplants/bergamotmint.html

MoniDew
08-06-2009, 04:18 PM
it certainly makes a pretty flower! does it taste citrusy? or minty? or both?

Cynthia
08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
minty orange taste through the orange is more in the smell than real flavor.