PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Jelly Recipe - Kudzu

Garden Green
07-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Been MIA due to some strange things going on, but I'm here! I found this and thought I'd post it as an interesting recipe to get back into the swing of things.

Kudzu Jelly

Kudzu's purple blooms appear in the fall. They have a grape-like aroma. Beware that there is pollen in the blooms. The jelly is a lavender-pink jewel-tone shade with an aroma of apple or plum jelly.

2 cusp firmly packed kudzu blossoms
4 1/2 cups water
4 or 5 cups granulated sugar
1 box Sure Jell (fruit pectin)

Rinse the freshly gathered kudzu blossoms.

In a saucepan, bring the blossoms and water to a boil. Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until blossoms are faded in color and the liquid is a deep lavender color. Strain in a colander and discard the blossoms.

Pour liquid through a jelly bag or cheesecloth. Use 4 cups of the kudzu liquid with sugar and fruit pectin, following instructions on pectin package.

Yields about 6 cups jelly.

daddylonglegs
07-26-2009, 05:33 AM
Hi!
That soiunds delicious. And you are right. very different.
We don't have kudzu here in the North East. Wonder where I could get some?
I hear it's Very invasive, so I'd have to be extremely careful with it, but it would make a great privacy border in no time. I'd have to contain in an underground tub or something maybe.

Thanks for reawakening my thoughts about this vine.
DDL

Garden Green
07-26-2009, 02:21 PM
It is just everywhere in the south. Make a friend in the deep south where this stuff is literally taking over and see if they'll overnight some to you. If I lived further south, I'd send ya some, but we don't have a lot of kudzu here in the valley.