PDA

View Full Version : Which Brassica's are best

GoldenAcres
07-23-2009, 02:33 AM
Which brassica's are best for the southwest. I was thumbing through some seed catalogs and was wondering which cauliflower would be best for my part of zone 7.
Here at my place thing are a bit compounded by the fact that I live on a Mesa and am always five-ten degrees hotter than the forecast. If it rains in town most likely we won't get any or the other way round.
Any suggestions?

Computer Cowboy
07-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'm betting attempts to grow cauliflower in your climate would drive you nuts. That's the only crop I ever totally gave up on, actually, after several years of trying different strategies. Everything about our southwestern environment is precisely what cauliflower hates: dry air, intense heat, overly bright sunlight, abundant brassica-loving bugs.

If you have better luck than I've had, I'd be very interested to hear how you pull it off.

If I were to try it again (which I probably wouldn't), I think I'd start plants indoors about now and set them out in late September to see how they'd do in the relatively cooler fall weather. I'd also select one of the so-called self-blanching varieties, and I'd plant them in a partially shaded location.

Good luck!

Garden Green
07-26-2009, 02:04 PM
You could always do it in a window hydroponically..