PDA

View Full Version : Potato storage

Computer Cowboy
07-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi all,

I've tried many methods for long-term potato storage that I've gathered from various sources, but haven't found one that's really reliable. I don't yet have a root cellar, but do have an unheated spare bedroom that stays pretty chilly all winter long. I'd like to avoid energy-using methods, such as freezing and canning, if at all possible. I've got a pretty good crop of potatoes almost ready for harvest, so I'd like to get my strategy in place. Any thoughts or experiences?

Garden Green
07-26-2009, 01:01 AM
A method my family employed when I was young was to bury a metal trash bin in the ground, line the bottom with straw, and then alternate layers of potatoes and straw, cap with the lid and then just take out what you need when you need it. It worked good for long term storage, if such a thing exists when you have a large family. :D But good for a few months at the very least.

My husband chimes in with his grandfather's method. They grew theirs in old tires that were stacked up and only harvested when they wanted them by kicking over the top tire. I've never personally tried this, but he said it worked out fine.

A root cellar is about the only other option.

Hope this helps.