PDA

View Full Version : Hola from southernmost Texas and Rio Bravo, Mexico

btompkins
08-01-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a serious gardening issue. We are missionaries in Rio Bravo, Mex., just over the border of Texas. The ground here is pathetic with little moisture retention and does not allow for root growth. We are also right now in a serious drought.

The ground needs to be enriched which I tried with some horse manure and leaves. My yellow squash plants came up, grew and then died. The cantelope grew, flowered, got one tiny melon and then flowered more with no more melons. Lots of vines, no fruit! I watered constantly with a drip irrigation system, but our well water is somewhat salty.

I am here most of the time during the summer and during the school year only on weekends and vacation time. My husband is here more, but I don't want him worrying about compost, etc. Hence, I do not have time to fool around with making compost or such things.

What can I do to make the dirt better? Most families here do not grow any food because the dirt is like cement. I would love to "fix" my problem and then share this with the families. It would be a way to feed themselves.

I would love to grow tomatoes, fruit, cukes, squash with confidence that we will see a harvest. I have been tempted to use a miracle grow additive, but not sure that is the best way to go. Once the fall comes I can begin growing things again since the temps will cool off from the over 100 degrees for the month that we have been experiencing.

I would appreciate all ideas!

Our ministry's website is http://sbhministry.faithsite.com

This may give you an idea of the area. We are also on youtube under sbhministry.

Again, thank you.

In His service,
Btompkins

Fred's Fine Fowl
08-02-2009, 08:28 AM
So glad to see you here finally!

Certainly you will receive a wealth of information regarding how to handle your soil issues, from one of the gardening experts...

I was thinking about the flowering without fruiting issue... have you observed pollinators? Honey bees? You may actually be in a situation where you have to hand pollinate? I know they have the Africanized Killer Bees down there... is it possible to set up a single hive somewhere on that property?

It would have to be in a shady spot... just a thought.

I can't wait to read about how things go for you down there!

As always...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

N-TEXgardenLGS
08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
I am not an expert but I have some Ideas.

I have the same problem and I am in the DFW area. I understand that plants even hot weather plants won't throw fruit (or veg) over 90 degrees. This makes it hard for us in Texas as we have most of the summer over 90.

So I would say the heat is a big problem for you too. I'm sorry to say it would help if you could start a compost pile or something for next year and if you can get some mulch around your plants that would help to keep them cooler and possibly you will get some this year. I stole all my neighbors leaves they were throwing away and made a massive amount of compost in just 6 months.

Also, the 1st comment is right on too. I have many plants with many bloosoms but very few veg's. I don't see many bee's and such so I assume that they are not cross pollinating. Unless you know how to manually pollinate them (which I don't) we will have to hope for bees.

I hope this helps,

Leanne

btompkins
08-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Thank you for your replies, Fred and Leanne.

I did not realize that the heat may have affected fruit development. As far as the bees, I saw a couple, but then also tried pollinating with a q-tip.

I really do think a lot of it is the poor soil, especially since the squash plants grew and then slowly died.

Would cow manure help? Would miracle grow stuff help?

In His service,
Bonnie

N-TEXgardenLGS
08-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Well, as I said, I am no expert but I do know cow manure is good for a garden but you don't want to put it on now because it will cause the ground to heat up and we are trying to cool our plants down. Definitely do it for the next crop. Any amendment you can do should help.

Most people in this form don't like Miracle Grow, but I say, what could it hurt at this point. Put some on then put your 3 to 4 inches of mulch around your plants and then soak them really well. This will at least keep the ground cooler.

If your garden looks like mine though I think it is probably done for now. We could start some squash in cups and transplant in a few weeks and perhaps they will grow through October.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and the results. We are all trying until it works.

Leanne

gardengirl72
08-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I've had conversations with Mel about this very subject. What is the best way to enrich garden soil when you don't have a home depot down the street? Compost is key to the equation. Waste is energy misplaced. There are so many things that can be composted. If you can begin composting and building your soil over time, it will pay off.

btompkins
08-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Patti,

What is the easiest way to start? I have no worms that I have seen, even when it rains very hard. Remember I can only do something to the compost on weekends and don't want to make a haven for mice. We already have periodic problems with mice and insects.

Thanks for your help!

In His service,
Bonnie

James
08-31-2009, 09:47 PM
I Am across the river from Reynosa Tamps. Mx. We have A few of the same problems. As far as trying to grow crops.. Have you tried to add wood ash to the soil.?? What about building A compost tumbler out off A couple 55 gallon plastic drums. Have you tried turning the soil with A sub soiler??

btompkins
09-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I have tried turning over the soil with teens using shovels. I have added horse manure, leaves, coffee grounds, and egg shells. I have not added wood ash...what does that benefit? Composting becomes complicated as I am not able to devote much time, but it looks like that is my best option.

What method of composting does not take much time and does not attract rodents and insects (we have problems with both)?

Thanks in advance for all ideas.

God bless.

gardengirl72
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Don't put any food waste in. put lots and lots and lots of leaves and weeds(that haven't gone to seed), coco fibers, that come in bricks that you add water to. Add lots of worms. Lots. Remember, Mel's mix is one third compost, vermiculite, and peat moss. I don't recommend peat or use it often, but desperate times call for desperate measures. You might also consider a cover crop that you can then turn into the soil once it has grown.
I loved the dvd you gave me. Please invite me to come visit.

Fred's Fine Fowl
09-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I hope Patti does go down there...

What a great thing that would be... and a wonderful video presentation could be made. There is so much need there and what a great seeding ground for sustainable living/gardening education.

You have no idea what subsistence living is until you've been to the colonia.

I will never forget my time down there and the people I've met... Bob and Bonnie are such wonderful people, doing so much with so little!

So excited!

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

btompkins
09-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info...now where do I get worms? I truly don't see any here...I grew up in western NY and there are worms up there! Not hard to find after a rain, that's for sure. Down here, I don't see any, even on the pavement after a rain.

Our website details mission team visits: http://sbhministry.faithsite.com

If you would like to visit, please send me an email and we can talk.

Again, I really appreciate the ideas and will begin working on the ground now that our weather is cooling off (no more in the 100's) and we are getting some rain.

In His service,
Bonnie

James
09-07-2009, 07:26 PM
I would think A barrel tumbler would work best for your area..

btompkins
09-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Thank you for the barrel composting idea. I am looking at plans on the internet. Any better than others? What else to I need to know to start this compost?

Also, you would not believe what is growing after a flooding rain! Watermelons! This is not in the spot I want a small garden, but in a part of the "lawn" that has a few trees, the ground is covered with that black garden mesh and/or plastic with holes poked in it, and gravel. We did this a couple of years ago to make this area nicer and less weedy.

Well, this summer we purchased a few watermelons, put them on ice in a cooler chest, and then shared them with kids that visited. To minimize the juice, seeds, and ant problem, we had them eat by the gravel area and spit the seeds out there. Well, we had a very severe drought this year until we received a lot of rain this past week. At one point the water covered the gravel area. Wala! We now have watermelon plants!! I hope to keep them growing with some water when it doesn't rain again. Any thing else I need to know about growing watermelons?

In His service,
Bonnie

btompkins
10-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey folks,

We have decided to make a composting barrel. I found plans for a 55 gallon barrel and Bob will make a turning composter.

I have planted again. Before I planted I paid a teenager to turn over the dirt and add dried leaves. This seemed to add "fluffiness" to the soil and I am keeping it loose by using a hand cultivator I purchased at Harbor Freight for less the $2.

I planted radishes (the kids have neve tried them), lettuce, basil, winter squash, and cucumbers. We'll see what grows. It is hard to tell with us down here. I have had tomato plants growing all winter before.

The watermelon plants are still growing. I gave them a shot of Miracle grow since where they germinated is not the best soil and is crovered with gravel.

Any suggestions for the composting barrel would be greatly appreciated. I have never composted before and am always looking of advice.

In His service,
Bonnie

James
07-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Well I was thinking of you. And your little mission, when the hurricane was blowing thru our way, All I can see is we rec. 5 inches of rain. So I hope you faired well . thru Alex.

gardengirl72
07-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes please let us know how it's going.

btompkins
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
We made it thru hurricane alex and tropical depression #2. Lots of water! The roads here were flooded foe0r quite awhile. Now the river is overflowing. We are not affected by this directly in that we are inland from the flooding. The mexican governmebt has closed the busy toll road because of flooding. There are 17 colonias in Reynosa, a big city near us, that are in danger of flooding. Now to the garden...we were doing fine with tomatoes and squash for awhile. Now the flowers on the tomatoe plant, which is huge, fall off. The melons are very small and so is the watermelon. Why? In zone 9, when do I give up and dig up everything and plant again? I do have asparagus growing but how do I keep it growing in zone 9? I grew up where it snows and you can't plant until after memorial day. I would appreciate any help and ideas. In His service, Bonnie

gardengirl72
07-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the update Bonnie. In terms of the melons. Only allow a few melons to grow. pick off the flowers and other melons that are starting to form. Only allow 2-3 melons per plant to grow to harvest. Asparagus is tricky. Three year plants are the ones that give you the best harvest. I started some 2 year old plants this spring. Next spring they will be three year old plants and give a good harvest. You want to wait a year to harvest if they are started from seed or from 1 yr old crowns. They are drought tolerant so you shouldn't need too much extra water. The 1st year you harvest them harvest for 2-3 weeks in the spring as the years go by they will produce more and you will be able to harvest for a longer period of time. Hope this helps. Thanks, Patti

btompkins
07-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the tips Patti. Should I also nip the melon plant so it won't grow so long? Does letting it continue to grow longer and more leaves mean small, tiny melons? I planted 2 yr old roots for the asparagus. I just don't know what to do with it over the winter. In zone 9 I don't usually have frosts to worry about. Does it die back on its own or keep growing down here? Also knowing when spring is hard; it is not a dramatic shift as up north. How do I know when I can harvest next year? Thanks again for such a great place to ask questions! In His service, Bonnie