PDA

View Full Version : Question about immiture pumkins

GoldenAcres
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
I have nine pumpkins plants that are growing wonderfully. However the little pumpkins that are on the vines are not growing and most have turned yellow with black on the underside that is on the ground. What could be causing this? :confused:

I don't irrigate so it shouldn't be from getting wet. I water consistently every three days and fertilize once every two weeks.

Garden Green
08-03-2009, 11:50 PM
It might be black rot and if it is, it is caused by fungal infection or powdery mildew to be specific. You can control it with fungicide. I wouldn't plant anything that is in any way kin to a pumpkin where you have them now for a couple of years as it lingers.

GoldenAcres
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Black rot sounds right so I will be careful next year.

Something is going wrong altogether. I wasn't feeling well yesterday so I didn't get out to check on the vines until later in the evening. Most of the leaves are chewed and full of holes my largest pumpkin (ping pong size) was off the vine and has small marks all over it. My best guess is grasshoppers. They have sprung forth in the past week because of the weather and they are all over the garden. Pumpkins must be their favorite this year because they are leaving the rest of the garden alone.

Garden Green
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Ick! I'm sorry you're pumpkins are the target, but at least the rest of your garden isn't being eaten. Though, it could be cucumber beetle or squash bug chewing on your leaves, too. If your cucumbers and squash are ok, then it is probably the hoppers.