PDA

View Full Version : End of the Garden Pickles

Garden Green
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I found this and thought it was interesting. There are those days when you don't exactly have a big enough mess of what is left in your garden to do much of anything. A mix of lots of left overs from the garden, and why not? If your house is like mine, there are nights where we're having left overs from a couple of different meals, why not do it in canning, too?

From Becky Hopper

1 cup sliced cucumbers
1 cup chopped sweet peppers
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 cup sliced onions
1 cup chopped green tomatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup green string beans cut in inch pieces
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons turmeric

Soak cucumbers, peppers, cabbage, onions and tomatoes in salt water overnight(1/2 cup salt to 2 cups water). Drain. Cook the carrots and string beans in boiling water until tender; drain well. Mix soaked and cooked vegetables with remaining ingredients and boil 10 minutes. Pack into sterilized jars; seal at once.

MoniDew
08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Would you describe this as being more like an Asian kimchee? or more like an Italian gardeneria?

Garden Green
08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm going to have to go with Giardiniera on this one. Giardiniera usually has broccoli, cauliflower, onions, sweet and/or hot peppers, and the like. Kimchi is more a solo thing for cabbage, meaning that it doesn't usually have a compliment of other vegetables in with it.

MoniDew
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Thank you for straightening that out for me. (I love both, and either would have been fine, but they taste completely different from each other, so, I just wanted to know which it was.)

And thank you for finding the correct spelling of Giardiniera for me. I couldn't remember, and it's not in my web browser's build-in spell check because it's not an English word.

Have you ever posted a recipe for Giardiniera here? That would be a great one to have! Many I have seen have cauliflower, broad/flat Italian green beans, carrots, and red bell pepper in them... vinegary, spicy ... Here's hoping...

Garden Green
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
But of course! I'll dig around my recipes and get one posted for you. My father likes doing a bunch of pickled vegetables in one jar, he never had a name for it and it never was the same twice, it wasn't until I was much older that I discovered that it had a name and there were recipes for it.