1/2 cup kosher salt
1 cup distilled white vinegar
4 1/4 cups water
fresh pickling cucumbers - sliced, quartered, OR whole
4-6 cloves (per jar) garlic - peeled, chopped
1 head (per jar) fresh dill - whole OR chopped
1/4 cup (per jar) sliced banana peppers - optional
10 (per jar) whole green peppercorns - optional

Stir together salt, vinegar, and water until salt is dissolved; set aside. Tightly pack 1 qt. wide-mouth jars with cucumbers. Wedge garlic, dill, peppers, and peppercorns between cucumbers. Pour brine mixture into jar, leaving 1/4" space at the top. Cover tightly with lids.

Place covered jars upright in a large pot, making sure not to stack them. Fill pot with enough water to cover jars and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, them remove pot from heat, placing it in the sink. Slowly run cool water into the pot. Doing this too quickly can make the jars crack. When the jars are cool enough to handle comfortably, remove from pot and store in a cool dry place.

Pickles will be ready to eat in 24 hours and are best if served chilled.

Sinfonian
08-08-2009, 05:45 PM
We made a boat load of these last year and they were great! Now we just need to rediscover them to finish them off, hehe.

MoniDew
08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I've tried my hand at pickles before, and my husband keeps encouraging me to keep making them (I must be on the verge of figuring it out or something.) Anyway, this is definitely a must-try!!

Garden Green
08-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I just love garlic dills. Nothing in the world like them. We're big garlic eaters at my house and my kids eat garlic dills by the fist full during the summer. And please let me know how yours turn out, I like the feed back.

gardengirl72
08-15-2009, 10:39 AM
I love making and canning pickles. We end up devouring them very quickly in my house.