PDA

View Full Version : Homemade pectin

plantoneonme
09-24-2008, 03:48 AM
I used this quite a lot in the past and didn't have any trouble getting things to set up. I took as many crabapples as I could get, cleaned them, chopped them and barely covered with water. Boiled a couple hours and strained off the juice. I used 1/2 crabapple juice and 1/2 fruit juice with equal parts sugar. Cook as usual to make jelly. Crabapples are very high in natural pectin.

For example: 2 cups crabapple juice, 2 cups strawberry juice (or well mashed fruit) and 4 cups sugar.

Kim

gardengirl72
09-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Hey Kim,

Do the crab apples add a flavor? Do you know what pectin is exactly? The idea of homemade pectin is brilliant.

P

plantoneonme
09-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Hey Kim,

Do the crab apples add a flavor? Do you know what pectin is exactly? The idea of homemade pectin is brilliant.

P

When I made straight crabapple jelly it was often most requested. It does have a nice apple flavor. I mixed it with whatever juice I have and make and apple/??? (strawberry, grape etc) jelly. The largest batch of jelly I made at one time was 4 cups juice to 4 cups sugar. I am not sure if a larger batch would work or not.

Kim

AbbeyLehman
10-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Have you made this and canned it? Another board I am on has a thread about this, too. If you have, or if you were to do so, how would it go? Just pour it into half pints/pints/quarts and waterbath? Or pressure? How does it compare to commercial liquid pectin?

plantoneonme
10-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Have you made this and canned it? Another board I am on has a thread about this, too. If you have, or if you were to do so, how would it go? Just pour it into half pints/pints/quarts and waterbath? Or pressure? How does it compare to commercial liquid pectin?

I have made this many times and put up in half pint jars and gave away with a loaf of homemade bread as gifts. I canned using the waterbath method. I don't know how it compares to liquid pectin as I have never used it before. I think I found the original idea of crabapple jelly from an issue of Mother Earth News way back in the very early 80's. Kim

Kevin
01-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Hey Kim , Here is a little different take on this homemade liquid pectin thing . I'm sure our southern gardeners could use this. My mother found this recipe in a 1957 fla dept agriculture cookbook . I haven't tried this yet. but I will as soon as my oranges fully ripen . HOMEMADE PECTIN FROM CITRUS PEELS. 1/4 lb white part of orange peel . 1/2 pnt water. 2 tbsp lemon juice. Grate yellow from peels. pass white part through food chopper. weigh . add lemon juice ,let stand 1 hour . add 1 and 1/4 pnt water, let stand another hour . boil 10 min. let cool ,pour into jelly bag. press to remove juice. drain juice once more through a clean bag before using. Kim how long did you waterbath the apple version of this . I would like to store the citrus version also.

plantoneonme
01-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey Kim , Here is a little different take on this homemade liquid pectin thing . I'm sure our southern gardeners could use this. My mother found this recipe in a 1957 fla dept agriculture cookbook . I haven't tried this yet. but I will as soon as my oranges fully ripen . HOMEMADE PECTIN FROM CITRUS PEELS. 1/4 lb white part of orange peel . 1/2 pnt water. 2 tbsp lemon juice. Grate yellow from peels. pass white part through food chopper. weigh . add lemon juice ,let stand 1 hour . add 1 and 1/4 pnt water, let stand another hour . boil 10 min. let cool ,pour into jelly bag. press to remove juice. drain juice once more through a clean bag before using. Kim how long did you waterbath the apple version of this . I would like to store the citrus version also.

It has been quite a while since I made the homemade pectin but I processed it the same as the Ball Blue Book recommended for jelly. Hopefully, I will get back to some canning this year as last year just when things were in full swing I had surgery. Kim