PDA

View Full Version : How do people feel about Latin names?

gardengirl72
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Every now and then I get hate mail, and nine times of out ten it is some one with a horticulture degree. Most of the time they are yelling and sometimes cursing me out about my lack of knowelldge in terms of my lack of Latin names, which clearly shows my lack of true horticulture skill.

So I talked to my Uncle in Law Hubert. Now he is a Brit, who is super famous, and he said:

"The first thing that Martin Luther did, when he wanted to bring the people closer to THEIR God, was translate the bible from latin."

To me that sort of says it all, so I plan on writing an article on it. I think the latin makes the art of gardening seem alienating, it makes you feel like you don't know anything and thus never actually try and garden. Our society seems to believe so strongly in specialization that many people feel like since they don't know anything about it, and they don't have a mentor, it is too hard to start doing.

Please give me reaction, I plan on turning this theory into an article or video or something some day.

plantoneonme
09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I completely agree. I would rather know something is called a tomato vs its latin name. I KNOW I can grow a tomato. Your success is in the pictures (and videos) you make. I would simply ignore those type of people. Kim

gardengirl72
09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Kim,

Trust me, I don't lose any sleep about it. But, it disturbs me because people need to know that gardening is something we have done for thousands of years, and it needs to be accesible to the masses.

Thanks again,

P

Sinfonian
10-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Hmm, let's see, you studied for years, gaining experience along the way. Then you melded your passion for film with your passion for gardening and helping people and turned into world-wide fame. Sounds to me like you've earned every ounce of credibility you've got, with or without a degree.

When I was at the county fair this year, I stopped by the meager master gardener booth and asked a simple question. Could I become a master gardener in veggies only. You see I could care less about flowers, trees and plants unless you can eat them. Sure they're pretty but eventually they'll all be gone in favor of feeding my family. So why would I want to learn about them. Of course the answer was no, so I guess I'll remain ignorant, and hopefully some day, if I work very very very hard, I will be as ignorant as Patti!

Thanks GardenGirl, YOU ROCK!