PDA

View Full Version : Hydroponic Carrots

Garden Green
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I found the most ingenious idea while reading through the net one day and decided to give it a go. I bought a large self watering container, vermiculite and perlite, mixed it all up, watered it thoroughly and had my garden helpers sow a bunch of carrot seeds.

Its working very well and the kids are soo excited.

http://www.gardengirltv.com/messageboard/picture.php?albumid=24&pictureid=249

We're looking forward to a nice harvest of baby carrots in a few weeks!

MoniDew
08-24-2009, 01:15 PM
GENIUS! I love it!

cbownesouth
08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
I teach HS Biology and am trying to set up a 50 gallon fish tank that would circulate the water through a hydroponic system to fertilize the system. I have to build a hydroponic system that fits in the top of the giant fish tank. This should show the students a complete cycle of plant/ animals living in symbiosis.
Cassie

Garden Green
08-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Ooo! That is too awesome! I'd love to see pictures when once you've got it complete. What type of system are you building exactly, an ebb and flow or NFT or something else? What fish do you plan to use? How very exciting that you're doing this for your class, are you enlisting them for help to build it?

I find hydroponic system just fascinating and have plans to build a small unit over the winter.

Dana

njiang46
09-03-2009, 12:35 PM
How does this work? I'm a big fan for plants, but I always forget to water them. it would be nice if I can just plant them indoor.

Garden Green
09-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Its just a self watering container. You still have to put water in it, but it holds it in a tray in the bottom at the bottom of the container and the medium wicks up the moisture as needed. It's been working very well and now my little sprouts have grown quite large.