08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
The Ultimate Black Raspberry Pie

Crust:

1 1/2 cups white flour

1/2 cup butter

3/4 tsp salt (if butter is unsalted)

4 Tbsp water

3 Tbsp sugar

Mix the flour, sugar and butter together. (note: I always make my pie crust in a food processor. It is fast and mixes so thoroughly, it makes the best crust)

Add water 1 Tbsp at a time until it forms a soft dough. Make sure it is not too wet as it will be sticky, or too dry as it won’t roll out well. If using a food processor, don’t overmix it, stop as soon as it forms a lump.

Roll out into a 9” pie plate and bake the crust at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Roll the crust extra thick, it’s almost like a cookie crust. You will have to put another pie plate on top of it or the crust will fold and buckle as it bakes. The second pie plate will help it hold its shape. Let it cool before removing the second pie plate from the top or it will tear the hot crust.

Filling:

You will need 7-8 cups of berries, about 2 quarts.

First you have to make a glaze:

Put 3 cups of the berries into a blender and whiz them into a paste. If you are using blackberries or raspberries that have a lot of little seeds you will have to strain them through a fine sieve to get rid of the seeds. You should end up with 1 1/2 cups of berry sauce, more or less.

In a small bowl or cup mix together 1 cup sugar (I’ve never tried honey, don’t know if it would work) and 3 Tbsp cornstarch.

Put the berry sauce in a pan and mix in the sugar/cornstarch mix. Heat gently until it reaches a boil. You must stir constantly as it will get very thick and could scorch easily.

Let it cool. This is the berry glaze.

When cool, mix the berry glaze with the rest of the fresh berries. Spread them evenly into the pre-baked pie shell.

Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.

Optional: You can spread a layer of vanilla yoghurt in the bottom of the crust before filling with the berries.

gardengirl72
08-29-2009, 09:16 AM
There's nothing like crust made from scratch. My family loves my apple pie. Pie does take a while to make, but it is so worth it.

Garden Green
08-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh I know! It took me forever to learn how to make homemade pie crust correctly. But once you get it, it is truly worth it.

gardengirl72
09-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Any crust making tips you can share with us?

SilverBells
10-22-2009, 04:16 PM
totally agree ... I made a pumpkin pie this past weekend and it took a really long time but the end result was sooo worth it

Garden Green
11-11-2009, 08:02 PM
One thing is the colder you can keep the pastry, the better it will be. And don't over work it or it will become tough.