PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada!

Mushroom Man
09-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Hello everyone!

I'm the Mushroom Man from up north!

I have a strong passion of combining Permaculture (edible & permanent landscape), vegetable gardening as well as incorporating mushrooms in most everything I plant. I've been a 'renter' my entire life and never been able to indulge myself on a permanent growing basis. Hopefully that will all change in the next month or two (attempting to close on a new house with a nice size back yard)

I did plant a Permaculture Food Forest this year, and if I say so myself, I didn't do to bad. The one thing I didn't come into grips with before planting was the location/geography of where it was going. The planting season was short and the frost was absolutely unpredictable. So I sold the land up north and moved closer to the Michigan/Canadian border. Here we have a planting zone of 6B...unlike up north where it was 3A.

Well, I had to sell the land of North in order to purchase this new property. But I do have permission from the new owner to dig up my 6 dwarf fruit trees (pairs, apples and cherries) as well as all of my grape vines (6), berry bushes (9) and an assortment of perennial plants (various edible varieties).

I'm looking forward to being part of this new community!

Mushroom Man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXMNLdhUNNM

gardengirl72
09-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the boards. Congrats on the new home. Now that you are in Zone 6B we are in the same zone.

NaturalDesignChick
09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
It certainly would have been painful to leave them all behind. We're in 4b, so I certainly feel your pain about dealing with shorter and unpredictable growing seasons.

I look forward to reading about your new property and experience reestablishing your gardens.

PennyG
09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi there and Welcome from Ontario also.
I'm up around Georgian Bay area.

Mushroom Man
09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Yikes! Cold up there!

Well...good news on the house front. The owner has agreed to our terms and now paper work is going to his attorney and/or real estate agent. We also have an appraiser checking out the house today to verify its worth.

If all goes well we move in November 1st. Just in time, I hope, to get the trees out of the ground and transplanted into our new mini food forest (backyard)!

Keeping my fingers crossed!