PDA

View Full Version : Potted fruit trees okay for winter?

Mushroom Man
09-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I will be picking up half dozen dwarf fruit trees this fall. I'm debating on attempting to plant them in a new location or keep them in containers until spring. They are safe to grow in Zone 3, where they are currently, but I will be transferring them into Zone 6.

My question is this:

Will they be safe in pots outside in the cold of Winter?

Thank you.

Mushroom Man

gardengirl72
09-01-2009, 09:22 AM
I think that if you have a place to put them this fall you should put them in right away. That way when spring comes they will begin to establish themselves that much better. Also, if you put them in now, you'll be able to concentrate on your other plantings in the spring.

Kittikity
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Something you might also think about is making a mini greenhouse.. You can make one easily with some metal posts, pvc pipe, and clear plastic sheeting.. I just did something like this as a shelter for my goats, but I used a tarp instead of the clear plastic..

There are two kinds of metal posts that you can get at a large hardware store like Lowes.. There are t-posts which are more heavy duty.. But the u-posts are what I used.. They have holes in them so you can attach things to them.. They are pretty easy to bang into the ground with a rubber mallet.. A hammer will bend the top of the post a bit.. (I learned that one myself..)

The pvc pipe you can drill holes in like Patti does in her video about covering the raised beds.. Make two marks on the ends of the pipe where the holes on the post are.. Drill and attach to the post with a screw and wing nut.. You'll need to bend the pipe to attach to the posts and make an arch.. Then one more pipe across the top to make a backbone..

Not sure how you might go about attaching the clear plastic to the framework.. I used a tarp that had grommets in it.. I had to duct tape part of it since the goats had previously pulled down this tarp (from a different setup) and it pulled out some of the grommets.. But I would not suggest duct tape because I am already having trouble keeping it attached.. Time for a new tarp!

Anyway, the posts only cost about $3-$5 each depending on length and the pipe (I used 10ft lengths) was around are only a couple of dollars I think.. The clear plastic I believe is also inexpensive..

Hope this helps..

Mushroom Man
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I think my best option would be to replant them into the ground (permanent home). Since they are planted, at this time, I'm going to wait until the fall. If push-comes-to-shove, I have enough space in my garage store them until the spring.

But I will focus on getting them into the ground before winter hits.

PS I am planning on putting in a small pond next to my garage gutter drainage. I will have a few water barrels established but, as I fill the pond, it will overflow into a channel surrounding each one of the trees.

I'll be happy to document everything that I do but, as the Garden Girl suggested... I will have time to get it prepared.

Thank you for your replies.

NaturalDesignChick
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
It doesn't rhyme but that's what my Grandma taught me. If you get those babies in the ground this autumn, they'll have some time to grow their root system prior to the spring flush up top.

kitsapFG
09-03-2009, 08:40 AM
If you get a hard freeze and those trees are in regular sized transport pots - the roots will be damaged and the trees will be done. They also require sunshine and water - so the garage is not a good place for anything that is alive and growing.

I would absolutely put them in the ground, where you ultimately want them. Fall is the best time to get nursery stock planted in because they have the quiet of winter to develop a robust root system before going to work in the spring to set new leaf and potentially fruit.