PDA

View Full Version : To dig or not to dig??

Yomolove
09-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Should I not take all the dead roots from the beds, then add organic matter and worms or just pull out all the roots?? I really don't know... I thought I should. I have lots of organic matter around my yard and with fall here many leaves to come.... Please tell me what should I do.

plantoneonme
09-25-2008, 05:45 PM
It is probably a personal preference but I like to pull out all the roots (and compost them)...I have found in the past that they are still intact the next spring and make it harder to work the soil (of course I don't have a tiller and turn things over with a shovel though). I then take my compost and spread it over the beds and then turn over the soil. If I wasn't having surgery next month, I would also take well mowed over leaves and turn those in as well.

I also read that if you do this and then wait until after a rain and put black plastic over the beds, you can solarize the soil to kill off any disease and weed seeds as well as get the organic matter to breakdown well. Then in the spring all you do is take off the plastic and plant. Oh yeah, the plastic is supposed to make a nice toasty bed for the worms and help the soil warm up faster in the spring for planting.

Yomolove
09-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Thank you... My brain is telling me also to do the back breaking work... I've been seeking advice on this and my soul keeps telling me to do it and get it over with. I will do it first thing monday morning.