PDA

View Full Version : Growing acorns...

kristim23
09-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi everyone!
My husband is bound and determined to grow an oak tree from a nut. He brought home three after a walk in the woods yesterday, but we're not sure if they need to have cold storage before planting, if we should cut the shell, or just put them in the ground. OR planted outside where we would like the tree, or in a pot indoors for the winter. ????
Any ideas? We'd appreciate it!!!
Thanks! Kristi
ps Of the 3 nuts, one is green, two are brown. don't know if that matters

FuriousOne
09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Choose swollen or plump-looking, mature acorns from healthy trees and pick them off the ground as soon as possible. Whites start sprouting soon after they fall--even if it has started its shoot, you can still collect it.

Put acorns in a plastic bag with an equal amount of leaf mold or peat mix and barley dampen. Close the bag loosely and store in the refrigerator at between 32 to 35 degrees (whites will continue to sprout at between 36 and 39 degrees). Check acorns throughout the winter and keep just barely damp. Acorns need about 1000 hours of low temperature dormancy. Plan to plant your acorns in late April from the 15th to the 20th. You can leave them in the refrigerator and plant as late as July, but an early start will produce stronger seedlings
Do not use garden dirt since it packs and may carry diseases. Use a good quality potting soil mixed with the same amount of milled sphangnum moss. You want a porous, sponge-like soil. Take an 8 ounce styrofoam cup and punch three to four pencil-sized holes in the sides next to the bottom. Fill to the top and tap to settle the soil leaving about an inch watering space. Place the acorn horizontally, barely under the surface. Water until it comes out the bottom and place cups on a southern windowsill. Never let the soil get completely dry, always prime first and water until it drains. Check moisture daily or more often if necessary.

In about three weeks the stalk will be five to six inches and the first set of leaves will have spread. About mid-May it is time to harden the plants off. Gradually increase exposure time to outside sun and air. Set the trees outside during the day and return them to house or garage at night.
With the second flush of leaves your seedlings can be transplanted into a 32 ounce, tall, food container. Check the taproot and see if it is bending around the bottom of the cup before transplanting. White and healthy-looking roots are a sign of vigor. Use the same soil mix and provide drain holes. The larger container will hold moisture longer but be sure to check it regularly.

kristim23
09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks so much! I am really anxious to try this. I actually have one in my flower bed that sprouted this past spring. I accidently pulled it while weeding, but put it back when I realized what it was. Its in really acidic soil, under a white pine, and I am shocked that it did so well, but I am afraid to move it. Thanks again!! -Kristi