PDA

View Full Version : Am I dumb.

James
09-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Just found out ,that the rosy red feeder fish in pet stores are fat head minnows that are reddish colored. Just wanted to share. they read also says the comet goldfish are cheap feeders too. just thinking about the stocking for my pond idea. Any thoughts???

cityworm
09-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Just found out ,that the rosy red feeder fish in pet stores are fat head minnows that are reddish colored. Just wanted to share. they read also says the comet goldfish are cheap feeders too. just thinking about the stocking for my pond idea. Any thoughts???

Yes this has been done before. If your local aquarium shop has their feeders on show display check and see if they red & white colored with long fins and tails comets these are sarassa comets.
If you plan on useing these I would not recomend putting these in any pond you might also try to raise fish for food. Might have been heavelly medicated.
Best time to buy these is spring & fall.Summer they are stressed with the heat.

James
09-08-2009, 11:21 AM
My thought was to use them to establish the bacteria A pond requires, as they are just A quarter each.. But if the minnows survive and breed then there would be A food source for the speices I would want to raise..

cityworm
09-08-2009, 06:43 PM
My thought was to use them to establish the bacteria A pond requires, as they are just A quarter each.. But if the minnows survive and breed then there would be A food source for the speices I would want to raise..

What size pond? Gallons? What do you plan on raising?
If look at the video Patti has on pond maintence. She uses a product microbe lift which is a beneficial bacteria that works very very well. I also have used this before on ponds and also in aquariums.