PDA

View Full Version : Not A Real Rhode Island Red?

Kanthaka
09-14-2009, 10:29 AM
How can you tell the difference between a Rhode Island Red and a hybrid? My little red hen could be either (the hatchery sent me three little "leftovers")
To further confuse matters I just read that most hatcheries don't even have purebred RIRs and that they are all hybrids. So are there marked differences between a red star and a true RIR?
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

Fred's Fine Fowl
09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Karen...

Real Rhode Island Reds are definitely out there and it's rare to see them actually, as the hybrid/utility strain is so prevalent these days... Even at the fair I didn't see one true Rhode Island Red on exhibit. The national and regional poultry shows disqualify the utility lines... they generally let the 4-H kids slide.. a tad.

If you don't have a Standard of Perfection, then lay your hands on one if you're truly interested in this breed? For example, my dear friends at Murray McMurray Hatchery carry the utility line and they are up front about saying they are not show quality birds. They did this to improve egg laying and meat potential.

If you go to Stromberg's, you will find there are two lines of "Reds" offered.. Show quality (the true line of the Rhode Island Red) and the utility/hybrid strain...

These are my personal observations...

Real Reds have:

Long flat backs... brick shaped bodies (no deep arches)
Very consistent dark red almost chocolate coloration throughout.. consistent.
Red stripe down the shanks
Tails held at a very low angle... the hybrid roosters and hens almost all have a tall attitude in their tail feathers...

As chicks, I can pick them out immediately... my true reds are dark as chicks and some have dark eyeliner in appearance... dark legs

Hybrid chicks have bright yellow legs, light bills and light fluff/down.

Here are the utility lines:
http://www.rhode-island-red.co.uk/

And on this link :) you'll find a "real red" in the champion photo...
http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/picturepage.html

Sorry.. had to showcase my own feathered friends... (">

Happy Surfing Karen!

As always,

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com

Kanthaka
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Thank you, Fred!
I kind of thought that maybe the handsome red rooster at the Wattsburg fair this year was yours. And now I really want a chicken tattoo!
I think my Prudence (sounds like Providence...sort of) is most likely a hybrid. I appreciate the detailed answer and links to great pics!
Karen from the Erie, PA Poultry Underground

Here's Prudence. Please forgive that I do not even possess 1/8th of your photography skills.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm217/Kanthaka/Chicksporch2010.jpg

Fred's Fine Fowl
09-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes, that's a hybrid... looks very nice though!

I noticed you have one of those upside down tomato plants there.. how did that work out for you?

Oh and that rooster photo on my site isn't from this year's fair.. he's from years ago.. I didn't show any this year and opted to support the 4-H kids instead and I sponsored the fair site....

Hey.. if you are interested, stop in at the Three Sails Cafe in Northeast... on Route-20 they are now a cafe gallery... guess who's photos are hanging in there? They have awesome home made deserts!!! tell-em I sent you ;}

Be well Karen...

Fred

www.FredsFineFowl.com
www.FrederickDunn.com