PDA

View Full Version : Eco-Friendly Fashion

njiang46
09-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Cotton is the most popular fabric that can be used for all different types of clothing, but traditional farming for conventional cotton requires lots chemicals and is hard on the environment. As public awareness of our environmental issues being raised, organic cotton becomes sustainable fabric that is widely used for clothing and is grown without toxins, synthetic fertilizers or any other harsh chemical ingredients that can cause skin rashes or allergies. Organic cotton makes a big difference to the environment and our health, since half of clothing in the world is made from either organic or conventional cotton. Nowadays, organic clothing with a wide selection of styles and types is available in many stores and online businesses throughout the world.

Buying organic clothing makes our life greener and healthier. Most of clothing is made from conventional cotton and dyed with different colors that contain toxins. Many people believe that organic cotton, without any chemicals, is easier on human skin than conventional cotton. Organic clothing is now available in the market with non-toxic dyes. Organic cotton is also a perfect alternative for people who have sensitive skin or chemical sensitivities. In the U.S., farmers grow cotton with more advanced and scientific methods that are better for our planet.

Advanced agricultural methods can help sustain the land. Instead of using synthetic fertilizers, organic cotton uses frequent crop rotation methods and cover crop strategies to keep the soil healthy and productive. To get rid of all insects, farmers use their natural enemies to kill insects, and lure them away from cotton. By doing this, we will get 100% natural organic cotton without any harmful chemicals. In the U.S., organic products, based on certain regulations, must be certified by government agencies, such as the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

When it comes fashion, more and more mainstream brands and high-end designers are aware of environmental issues and start organic clothing lines. You can find a wide variety of organic clothing selections from baby to adult in department stores, specialty stores, organic stores or farmers markets. Best of all, the cost of organic material is about 20% - 40% lower than chemically dyed cotton.

According to some studies, each organic shirt you purchase, 4 ounces of chemicals are prevented from entering the environment. It sounds little, but it becomes a big thing if more people purchase organic clothing. Doing what you can do to help our environment and have a green life.

RESOURCE BOX

This article originally posted at Exchange For Green (http://www.exchange4green.com)

gardengirl72
10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks so much for posting this article. 90% of my clothing is cotton and I hate the idea of supporting conventional cotton agricultural practices. I wanted to learn more so I grew my own cotton here in New England.

Cotton has stigma due to it's history, but I found out that there are heirloom cotton varieties in different colors. I grew Pima cotton of all things and hand spun it. I didn't grow much but I felt connected to our American History and really want to do it again with the heirloom varieties available out there. It takes a lot of acreage to grow cotton and a very long hot season (180 days).

Farmers need to step up, but demand for organic cotton needs to continue to rise to make that happen.

By the way, my T-shirt collection is made of organic cotton and made in Canada click to view and purchase.

http://www.olivebarn.com/patti-moreno-gardengirl.html

birthblessed
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
It takes a lot of acreage to grow cotton and a very long hot season (180 days).

It's also highly susceptible to pests, requires hand-picking or specialized equipment, and is really altogether labor-intensive.

To be honest, wool is much easier to come by.

I buy organic cotton when I can't, but I honestly can't afford it usually. The best way our family stays green in the area of clothing is to never buy new-- we buy most of our clothes from resale shops.

SilverBells
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! I like that a lot of clothing stores are now starting their own organic lines of clothing that look a lot like their other clothes

gardengirl72
10-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Thrift stores are great. My daughter and I have been trolling them obsessively as of late. I live gotten some great pieces. It takes a lot of time to find things though.