PDA

View Full Version : Laundry?? Dryer or line??

James
09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
O K We are talking laundry, I use the old style clothes line, hooked between the fence and the shed. 100 feet of line And wooden clothes pins. I hate to use A dryer, they heat the house up and can cost about $10.00 A month to run. Not to mention the cost to buy. Right now I Am on my 2nd washer in 4 years. I buy used washers real cheap. I Am looking for A wringer washer to buy next time... So whats your choice dryer or clothesline????????????

Kittikity
09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I do both.. Our dryer heats up our house pretty badly too.. But we also get a lot of rain.. So I dry on the clothes line on days where we don't have rain for at least the first half of the day.. But when its raining for most of the day, I have to dry in the dryer.. It can get a little cool in the house on those rainy days and that helps so it doesn't get too hot from the dryer running..

gardengirl72
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
I have the perfect place for a clothes line, but I'm not quite sure how my neighbors will take it. Also, I have so many birds that fly around I wonder if my clothes will get soiled. How long does it usually take to dry clothes on a clothes line?

James
10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Around this area, clothes take anywhere from 1 hour T shirts and the like to 4 hours comforters/sleeping bags. Jeans take about 3 hours, except today it rained,After I put the clothes out so they received A extra rinse from nature.. We have wild birds including parrots around here. And I have not noticed them soiling the clothes with dropping.

gardengirl72
10-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks James for the feedback.

rdsaltpower
11-07-2009, 10:56 PM
My wife and I line dry about 7 months out of the year. The dryer heats up the house in summer and the air cond. has to work harder to compensate, costing more for electricity. The way we figure it, the money saved by line drying can go toward air cond. in summer.

Aspen
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I would line dry year-round if I could. I prefer line drying for the energy savings and there is something fulfilling about slowing down.

James
12-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Had to use A dryer last week, talk about boring, it took over 2 hours and the clothes still were not dry. But the dryer and washer was free use At the terminal.

Ecorachel
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
We hardly ever use a dryer, only once or twice a year! We have a clothes line for sunny days and a metal pole indoors for bad days.

James
05-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Just pulled 2 weeks worth of laundry from the line. So I can hit the road in the A M. But hey thats life.

GoldenAcres
05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Years ago there were eight people in the house creating five or six full loads a week and we only had a clothesline. Laundry was a detestable chore. It didn't help that I am five feet tall and the line was always a stretch for me to reach. On the positive side the New Mexico sun dries jeans in 30 minutes :D

Now with only two people I do one load a week so I do use my dryer. However if I could find a good clothes line for short people :p I would probably use it all the time. I do miss sun dried linens.