PDA

View Full Version : Harvested seeds

Warlord
09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I was able to save some seeds from our red onions we grew this year. I was hoping the white and yellow onions would yield some but they did not. We were amazed by our Yukon potatoes we grew. A few of the flowers had eventually produced seed balls.:) I took the seeds out and dried them. Now we get too see if they will grow into viable potato plants. I also let some of our Grand Rapids lettuce flower out to see the end result. It took quite a long time for the lettuce to flower and finally go to seed. When they did the flowers looked like mini dandelions. Each flower became a collection of puffy white parachuttes each with its own seed. Of course I also saved some seed from my Big Mama Hybrid tomatoes. I made sure they were not blighted in any way. I will probably start them over the winter out of sheer curiousity. I am still waiting on the flower shoots on the Elephant Garlic to fully develope so they can be planted with the rest of my seed collection.

gardengirl72
09-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Great job. You should be able to plant the seed and get a harvest. Prehistoric seed has been found and planted and germinated. How are you storing the seeds?

Cynthia
10-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I've let some of my lettuces reseed - especially arugula - I have the same arugula growing for 18 months now - its pretty in flower and the bees love it.

Congrats on saving the garlic seeds - I haven't seen those. Let us know how your new plants flourish.

Warlord
10-07-2009, 08:45 PM
I store each kind of seed in its own small envelope and keep them in a paper sac in a cool dry location. This may not be the right way to store them but its too late to turn back now.

Cynthia
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
sounds correct to me - good luck to you.