PDA

View Full Version : what kind of pumpkin to buy?

redhead5318
10-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I hear there is a shortage of canned pumpkin? I certainly haven't seen any canned pumpkin in the overstock bins at the grocery store, that's for sure.

If i want to buy a whole pumpkin and process it myself, what kind of pumpkin do i buy? what do i look for? how do i dry the seeds? once i've cooked and processed the pumpkin, how long will it last? can i freeze it?

vermmy35
10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I to use a Lumina Pumpkin for baking they make excellent pies and breads. If you would like to dry out the seeds for next year you can rinse them off and place the seeds on a paper towel to dry them out and keep changing the towel every 12hrs for days.

Kevin
10-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Hey Readhead, From what I have read most of the canned pumpkin sold in this country is actually callabaza, cuban tropical pumpkins grown in central america . They do grow here in florida and mine are currently the size of footballs . I really hope they ripen before thanksgiving . Check your local grocery to see if they are sold in your area. The seeds from the grocery store callabaza are pretty easy to store and grow. Kevin

redhead5318
10-09-2009, 11:12 PM
hi Kevin,
i know it's possible to grow pumkpins this far north (i'm in michigan), and i've seen the seeds at the store. looks like it might be time to try my luck with a pumpkin patch!

btw, every time i've seen canned pumpkin/callabaza at the store, i grab a can!

Kevin
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
hi Kevin,
i know it's possible to grow pumkpins this far north (i'm in michigan), and i've seen the seeds at the store. looks like it might be time to try my luck with a pumpkin patch!

btw, every time i've seen canned pumpkin/callabaza at the store, i grab a can!

Hey Readhead , You should have very little problem growing these where you are at.I grow numerous other varieties of tropical pumpkins besides callabaza. I buy the seed from Baker Creek seed company which is in missouri. They produce the seed on their farm there. The only problem you might encounter is learing how to hand pollinate the female blossoms. If you can get your hands on the book" Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth,there is a pretty good chapter on this in the book . It really isn't that difficult.Good luck , Kevin

redhead5318
10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi Kevin, thanks for the tips, espcially the pollinating bit.

and Baker Creek seed? i love those guys!

SilverBells
10-22-2009, 04:14 PM
my friend planted pumpkins in her garden this year and they completely took over and killed everything in their path! haha any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Kevin
10-28-2009, 04:40 PM
my friend planted pumpkins in her garden this year and they completely took over and killed everything in their path! haha any suggestions on how to avoid this?

Hey SilverBells, Grow them vertically. Inch per inch , pound per pound, they very well may be the most prolific plant , or group of plants you will ever grow. Here's a hint, (cucurbita moschata). Good Luckl , Kevin

Cynthia
11-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I grew sugar pumpkins this year and blogged (http://www.counseling.typepad.com/gardengateblog/)about using them - I hope you'll enjoy the pumpkins. They are big vine plants but wonderfully fun to go out and pick your own pumpkins and then cook with them.

Cynthia