PDA

View Full Version : freeze

Maryann
10-04-2009, 06:52 PM
looks like a have a batch of frozen tomatoes. should I pick them and just bring them in? will they rippeen? I have so many and so late in the season. what about chard, spinach, lettuce, zucks?
we have had wierd weather.
thanks
Maryann:eek:

Cynthia
10-07-2009, 08:35 AM
tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash are not going to ripen - they will be a mess when they thaw. so I'd put them straight into the freezer, or the food processor then freeze.

The lettuces and chard are good cold weather plants - or normally so. If you get very cold winters you might want to make some hoop houses (see Patti's video" and cover. We have mild winters (usually) and can grow cole crops all winter as well as many lettuces.

Cynthia
10-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Here is a good article by Patti
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/house/articles/2009/10/08/create_a_micro_climate_for_cold_hardy_greens/

gardengirl72
10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
We had a very early freeze last night. I covered some of my plants, but it's freezing rain right now. I'm gonna harvest a lot of stuff before the day is over.

SilverBells
10-22-2009, 04:11 PM
we had a freeze over night this past weekend and I think even a couple of flurries. Isn't it too early for that?

cbownesouth
10-31-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey where is that global warming Al Gore promiced us. Ive got frozen peppers, figs and squash. I picked the tomatoes and made green tomato salsa. And I live in SW North Carolina.