PDA

View Full Version : The Five Acre Wood

Warlord
10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Before I bought the house I was renting here in Fremont I had purchased a small wooded 5 acre lot on a land contract. The property adjoins hundreds of acres of state land on the south side making it a good hunting location. Except, I haven't been hunting (if you can call four days with a deer rifle hunting) in over a decade. Well anyway I had planed on building a stick built home out there some time in the future. Right now my second wife & I are woking on remodeling this place so we can rent it out so we can move out into the woods.
On my way home from work sometimes I will stop by and spend some time walking around just to clear my head or to focus on what I need to get done after I get home. At times I daydream about what our new house will look like; where the garden will be; where to place my wife's secret garden; how big to make the pond and the greenhouse.
For now I will be slowly (and I mean slowly) turning the five acres of dead brush and leaves into compost. Just one more project to add to the long list. More posts on the five acre wood to come. Warren :cool:

MoniDew
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
what a lyrical, pastoral scene you depict! in my dreams, I see such a place as you describe. you're so fortunate to own such a peaceful refuge. can't wait to hear more about it!

gardengirl72
10-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Do you know what kind of trees are on the lot? Are you going to build with the trees you have there?

Warlord
10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Do you know what kind of trees are on the lot? Are you going to build with the trees you have there?

I have a small variety of trees which include Maple, Red Oak, White Pine, Poplar, Beech, Iron Wood, Sasafrass, Birch and Dogwood as far as I know. By the way the fall colors out there are beautiful.
The building codes won't allow any living structure to be built out of rough-cut; non-commercialy stammed lumber. I still however could build a pole barn or such out of rough cut. I do plan on using some of the Red Oak for flooring and trim in both our existing and future homes.