PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Please..Please

Ginger
10-10-2009, 06:29 PM
:pI'm so excited. My husband finally let me cut down the juniper and nameless evergreens along the front of our house. I hired two young men to do this and dig 1 foot of the hard clay soil out of the bed. Really, it is more like cement, since they had to take a pick axe to it. Anyway--trees gone--beds cleared.

:confused:This is my question. My friend has a mountain of well rotted horse manure at her ranch a couple miles away that I can have. It is more like dirt, you know black gold. Can I fill the beds with just this or do I need to add top soil and sand? I've read all of Mel's books. I hate peat moss for gardening in the desert--it dries out so fast. I don't like vermiculite either.

I'm going to plant blueberries, currents, strawberries, and peonies along with a few other perinnial flowers.:cool:

Ginger

cityworm
10-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes use the manure especially if it is like black gold.

Cynthia
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
manure might not have all the nutrients you need. I'd suggest doing some manure, some compost, and some soil - and mixing it all up together.

Also, stick your hand into the pile and make sure it is cool. If it is still giving off heat, it'll burn your plants.